Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PDF's

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:57 am

Nershi wrote:Glad you made it. I am sure that was a very scary experience. I think avoiding panic is the most important thing in these situations. My buddy tipped a canoe on us in the middle of a lake when we were kids a few days after the ice went out. He panicked and I was able to get him to settle down and concentrate on getting to shore. Had we both panicked I am not sure we would have made it.

A deep V should be a much safer ride. I almost bought a mod v and after a little research I realized it wasn't a safe option for the water I hunt.

True but in a 50 mph I don't know if any boat is safe

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PDF's

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:42 am

Dam that doesn't look good ( going to be a Happy Thanksgiving at your house this year ).......what type of rescue boat did they use, it looks really low in the water as well ??
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PDF's

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Bailey wrote:
Nershi wrote:Glad you made it. I am sure that was a very scary experience. I think avoiding panic is the most important thing in these situations. My buddy tipped a canoe on us in the middle of a lake when we were kids a few days after the ice went out. He panicked and I was able to get him to settle down and concentrate on getting to shore. Had we both panicked I am not sure we would have made it.

A deep V should be a much safer ride. I almost bought a mod v and after a little research I realized it wasn't a safe option for the water I hunt.

The boat I hunt big water with would have no problem with the waves in those pics. You should see the waves we fish Lake Superior in.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PDF's

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Nershi wrote:[quote="Bailey"][quote="Nershi"]Glad you made it. I am sure that was a very scary experience. I think avoiding panic is the most important thing in these situations. My buddy tipped a canoe on us in the middle of a lake when we were kids a few days after the ice went out. He panicked and I was able to get him to settle down and concentrate on getting to shore. Had we both panicked I am not sure we would have made it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk[/quote]

The boat I hunt big water with would have no problem with the waves in those pics. You should see the waves we fish Lake Superior in.[/quote]
Even if you take waves the wrong way or from the sides?

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:59 pm

The rescue boat was ill equipped. It was a 17 ft MOD v. We took water over the nose. If not for bilges we would have had 5 more in the water.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:00 pm

You definitely need to know how to run a boat in big waves. OP's story makes it sound like user error was not the issue. Type of rig and the load weren't up to the conditions. A big deep v will be a much safer ride.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:41 pm

User error is always the issue.
Dominate The Skies.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Nershi, pretty sure where I listed out the poor decisions at the bottom, shows the error. But hey pile on, why not be judgemental. I made plenty of mistakes that day. The biggest of which, not a big enough boat for the conditions. Or hunting the wrong location.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PFD's

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:13 am

Glad you're all ok! Went in when I was younger, in my teens, with my dad in a canoe. Once you've been in, you never want to go back in. My brother calls life jackets body finders. You escaped death, or worse, living through being in charge of an activity that could have killed your son and brother. Not trying to be an a$$ hat and I'm sure you learned from it.

Here's some simple tips we've learned and hold true too, especially in late season;

All decoys go in bags and get tied and cinched up, period. They float and support a lot of weight. If that needs to be explained, don't go hunting after the first 3 weeks of the season.

Rope is never left out in the open, of any kind. A knotted up screw is dangerous and sucks barnacles. Knotted up ankles or legs is a Polish noose, sorry to any nort'easter mpls Pollock's.

Every body needs a floatation cushion. Extra one ain't a bad idea either.

An extra life jacket is always a good idea.

If it has a motor on it, it gets a bilge pump. If they freeze, brake, crack or have any issue it gets fixed no questions asked. It can help make a bad situation not as bad, but still bad.

A small double ender is a great tool for pulling decoys and gear, as long as you are careful keeping the rope out of the water and anywhere near that screw on the motor.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

Jrp267 wrote:Nershi, pretty sure where I listed out the poor decisions at the bottom, shows the error. But hey pile on, why not be judgemental. I made plenty of mistakes that day. The biggest of which, not a big enough boat for the conditions. Or hunting the wrong location.

I wasn't trying to be judgmental. I was defending you saying you operated the boat correctly in the waves, ie heading straight in to them. Obviously the user error was being out there in the first place with the wrong boat for the conditions.

Original point was a deep v should be a much safer boat. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Wasn't trying to beat you up about it and I'm not sure how you read it that way.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”