Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Well it happened! Good thing for PFD's

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:16 am

get-n-birdy wrote:Glad you're all ok! Went in when I was younger, in my teens, with my dad in a canoe. Once you've been in, you never want to go back in. My brother calls life jackets body finders. You escaped death, or worse, living through being in charge of an activity that could have killed your son and brother. Not trying to be an a$$ hat and I'm sure you learned from it.

Here's some simple tips we've learned and hold true too, especially in late season;

All decoys go in bags and get tied and cinched up, period. They float and support a lot of weight. If that needs to be explained, don't go hunting after the first 3 weeks of the season.

Rope is never left out in the open, of any kind. A knotted up screw is dangerous and sucks barnacles. Knotted up ankles or legs is a Polish noose, sorry to any nort'easter mpls Pollock's.

Every body needs a floatation cushion. Extra one ain't a bad idea either.

An extra life jacket is always a good idea.

If it has a motor on it, it gets a bilge pump. If they freeze, brake, crack or have any issue it gets fixed no questions asked. It can help make a bad situation not as bad, but still bad.

A small double ender is a great tool for pulling decoys and gear, as long as you are careful keeping the rope out of the water and anywhere near that screw on the motor.

Very sound and practical advice!!!

I will add, if you are wearing waders and go overboard, immediately bend at the knees. It will prevent a lot of water from going into your waders and fill the bottom with trapped air. That will give you buoyancy and keep you afloat. I've practiced this routine during the summer months and it works.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:07 am

I would never reccommend towing a small boat in poor conditions. It's flat out one of the dumbest things you can do. Sorry GnB! Lighten the load...or tell your partner to get his own boat....but towing a boat will get you in big trouble fast if the weather turns against you.

Biggest factor in why people get into trouble is lack of power. A 16ft boat with a 25 and a heavy load is underpowered. You lack throttle response needed. You better damn well know how to read water and plan ahead when you get in big waves. You have to watch whats happening 50-100 yards ahead and go around bigger sets.
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:14 am

To lighten it up a bit..... at least he didn't run over his dog.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:08 pm

I didn't run over the dog. I did by a new boat. G3 v177t with a 60. No more overloaded. Or under powered.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:46 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:I would never reccommend towing a small boat in poor conditions. It's flat out one of the dumbest things you can do. Sorry GnB! Lighten the load...or tell your partner to get his own boat....but towing a boat will get you in big trouble fast if the weather turns against you.

Biggest factor in why people get into trouble is lack of power. A 16ft boat with a 25 and a heavy load is underpowered. You lack throttle response needed. You better damn well know how to read water and plan ahead when you get in big waves. You have to watch whats happening 50-100 yards ahead and go around bigger sets.

Totally agree. That's my bad for using that as an example in conditions like that. Early in the season with a heavy load it can work if the boat is over loaded with man flesh, gear, dog's and decoys. On bigger water heavy loads are not a good idea at all in any type of wind.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:37 pm

I was thinking about that of boats in winds.
I have a 14 V and had a 25HP, with the gear, dog and myself I had enough power. But if I added a second person - nope, I could barely plane, much less power up so the nose of the boat would go up. Then add the added weight of a 16' and more gear and people.... well I'd say at least a 40hp outboard is what it'd take. And if you have a long tail add another 1/3 more HP because of the lost power compared to an standard OB.

And on shallow lakes/sloughs the waves are choppy, basically high and a short distance between them compared to big deep fishing waters like say Mill Lacs where there is a lot more distance between the wave crests and are rollers.

Then factor in the hull design. The bottom line is flat bottoms are plain dangerous in bigger waves. Yes they are great on smaller rivers and sloughs so you can get to places that require less draft. But therein lies the problem, less draft means you are not "cutting" through the water like a deep V is going to do. I've had both flats and V, and there definitely is a LOT less control with a flat bottom boat in windy conditions even on the upwind side of the lake/slough.

Anyways, so JRP, so how did you do hunting today with the new rig?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Its been marginal. But I still love going. Shot a lone gadwall. Love seeing those things decoy. The boat however is amazing. Smooth as butter. And tons on HP. And I have only been to full throttle for a very short run.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Two gus in SD drowded Monday near Broiling SD duck hunting. They have yet to find one of the bodies as of today.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Brookings

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:19 am

You do realize that you can edit your post, right? ;)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”