Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Snows reports for 2017

Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 am

With the warm weather the last 2 days it got me thinking... as it would not surprise me one bit if some scout flocks were in SD already being no snow cover in SW Mn and SE SD.

Some weird weather patterns this winter for sure with the late start to winter and the warm temps for 2 weeks in Jan and again now through next weekend. 40-50s for S Mn all week through early next week. And you know damn well it will be at least 5 degrees warmer in SE SD

If they are there, you could not even hunt them this weekend as tomorrow is the opening date for the Snow season in SD.

It's my prediction that there will be huntable #s by this coming weekend in SD. I think that many guys are going to be caught flat footed with this early warm up.
Attachments
ims2017042_usa.gif
ims2017042_usa.gif (18.7 KiB) Viewed 6156 times
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Snows reports for 2017

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Had a buddy drive to Nebraska last week for work, he said tons and tons of darks around Sioux city but didn't see any snows.

I see the changed the name of squaw Creek...Jfc

My trailer got emptied of fall gear this weekend and snow gear goes in next weekend

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 am

Heading down to SW Iowa on Friday to get a nice sun tan on saturday and watch the show. ill report back Sunday
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am

The SD GFP should post their first weekly migration report on Thursday. This is sure shaping up to be a strange spring.
I'll have all the gear ready to go by this weekend.

Good luck Randy and post some pics.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Today while doing Mallard Nests I saw paired up Mallards working the wetlands like it was mid March. They were not doing that 2 days ago... 1 month early for sure. So it reasons that the Snows will be a month early too.

I just checked another site, a guy said the Snows were heading N over Nebraska today, and someone else said they were heading big time into Yankton today where he lives. Another site, a guy said a few Snow flocks were into SD over weekend. 1 guy commented that he thought they'd be into ND by the weekend being so little snow. :shock: If that does happen, that means the Snows were only out of ND for less than 3 months. BTW, the ND Snow season opens up this Sat.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:45 pm

It's gonna cool back down next week, and tons of snow in western/northern ND. SD may be covered up in snows for a prolonged period of time would be my guess...Should be a lot there this weekend.

With the amount of snow ND has anything north of Jamestown is going to be an absolute mess this spring with muddy fields and washed out roads.

But spring forecast is for a cooler pattern...Who knows we may get teased now and have one of those winters that hang on til april

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm still going to do the same thing I do every year.......wait until the snow goose hotline says there are no snow geese left in South Dakota, then go there and pound them.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I would think southern SD will have snows this weekend. Who knows if they stay but should be huntable over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:00 am

as of yesterday only 150k in the NWR formerly known as Squaw Creek. THere will be some front pushers in SD in a week or so, but the masses are still very much in the south. I don't start planning until Squaw hits 1.5 mil.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 am

Squaw is at 1million plus. Might even be on the decline.

SD could be good for a while with the snow line in ND.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”