Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: General spring waterfowl updates

Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm

New ringers blew in over the Weekend up by Ashby. Love how crisp their mating plumage is.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed May 03, 2017 8:51 am

For those that cross the 101 bridge in Shakopee, when heading towards Shakopee, look at the slough to the right as there is a Swan nesting on 1 of the rat hives. (pretty easy to spot) Likely a Trumpeter...
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: General spring waterfowl updates

Wed May 03, 2017 12:05 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:For those that cross the 101 bridge in Shakopee, when heading towards Shakopee, look at the slough to the right as there is a Swan nesting on 1 of the rat hives. (pretty easy to spot) Likely a Trumpeter...

I hear by Tracy there is a pair.

Got a pair of sandhills in one of my mushroom spot in the mn river bottoms.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Tons of gosling's today...have I been blind or did a bunch just explode out of eggs today?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 am

Gosling's just started popping last week, but since they all get the "fever" like cities that win the Super Bowl, they all hatch pretty much at the same time.

Buffies hanging out. So funny how once the guns stop blazing they figure out they're safe and don't tweak at the sound of a decelerating vehicle.

Saw some gadwalls field feeding with geese 25' off of 210 like it was a city park. Still a few mating flights going on. Anticipate another round before May is out as hens that lost nests work on 2nd brood.

The number of swans expanding breeding areas is pretty sweet. Last year a mass of about 200 juveniles set-up on Lake Christina as the water was very low. This year it appears a number of them have started nesting on area sloughs.

Lake Christina water is pushing the high water mark with the recent rains. Down stream flood plains will determine if the pumps get turned on. They can only put as much water out as the Pomme De Terre watershed can take. All the water in Christina makes its way to the MN River at Milan. I didn't see counts, but based on my observations the number of ducks using Christina is on the rise: significantly. The steady high pressure system we had most of the fall did not make hunting easy and several groups became "resident". These birds set-up local groups and became magnets for other birds. I watched one afternoon as one gabby mallard hen pulled every bird, puddler and diver, to her at the opposite end of the reeds I was hunting, about 300 yards away.

143 days do duck opener.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu May 04, 2017 8:20 am

lanyard wrote:The number of swans expanding breeding areas is pretty sweet. Last year a mass of about 200 juveniles set-up on Lake Christina as the water was very low. This year it appears a number of them have started nesting on area sloughs.

Trumpeters or mutes?

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu May 04, 2017 12:29 pm

As I recall, it was Trumpeters last spring. I haven't had a trumpeter flyby in a few years and don't know if I've ever seen a mute.

Guess I've not given their ID much consideration other than DON'T SHOOT THE SWAN.

Put a season on them, then I'll tell you :-)

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri May 05, 2017 11:20 am

Swans are thick in west central MN. I bet I've seen 20 pairs while out scouting for turkeys last week.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm

This weather is perfect for the hatching of the ducklings and goslings. Sunny and warm so lots of insects and macro invertebrates in the water too for them to feed on.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: General spring waterfowl updates

Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 am

h2ofwlr wrote:This weather is perfect for the hatching of the ducklings and goslings. Sunny and warm so lots of insects and macro invertebrates in the water too for them to feed on.

Mother in law had 12 ducklings and a mom come to below her bird feeder today. Sadly i assume she wont have 12 soon.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”