Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Duck lease

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:56 am

Anyone every lease land, know of a lease or have general feedback. I'm getting too old to get up at 3 AM to get a spot on public water. I have too little time to scout, drive and spend time in western MN. I don't need to pile up duck's anymore. I'm looking for a spot to hunt with my son and I and maybe a few buddies, no more than 3 guys. I've been keeping my eye on Craig's list and outdoors news but there isn't much there. Just keep waiting and looking!

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Duck lease

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Wait until you get to age 50 as 2:30AM is a REAL PITA!
Frankly it is one of the contributing reasons I don't go as often as say 15 yrs ago, I just do not function well AT ALL on 3 hrs sleep. :(
I feel bad now what I put my Pops through in his 50/60s getting up that early. But it's 1 of the reasons I often had my own boat, etc so he could sleep in, but I then missed out on the heading to and after the hunt conversations. :/

Here is what I do more often than not for late Oct and on mallards, I get up normal time and am at the lakes around 8;30 glassing, looking for a good spot with the wind and where no one is at or are picking up, I set out the dekes and hunt from 10-1:30 hoping that I get them returning to water after their morning feed. It works great with young hunters too ;)
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Question will be "where do you want it?".

Just ducks/geese? Or deer/phesant also?

I know the costs favor leasing, but I'm a proponent of ownership. Do what you want, when you want, and you aren't at the mercy of changing sentiments of the land owner.

One group I know rented a house @ Lac Qui Parle as a base. They rented the whole year and used it as a base for hunting and fishing.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:31 pm

No clue on the lease.

If you head north to rice country you can find small areas to hunt that get little or no pressure. Lots of places I hunt I show up just in time to set up decoys.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:53 am

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/19201/item/1 better to buy at times... Not bad for $25K, granted they probably will have to go through the water to get it to work again, but if no mold from sitting, an excellent base of operations if say 4 guys each chipped in $10k as it'd likely need another $10-15k to renovate, like a new roof, doors, etc...

I have seen over the years in town houses in the small towns in western MN go for $8-20k

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 am

Renovate? Burn. I would rather spend 15K on a travel trailer, 5th wheel, camper, etc. If that property had a 20- 40 acre marsh for 100K. . . now were talking!

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 pm

I was in a similar boat and ended up buying. In much of MN, if you're not looking at Ag land.... wetland & sedgy meadows can be had for fairly low costs yet. I was in a position of wanting a deer lease and did the math, buying made much more sense at what it was then per acre. Parts of the state (thinking southern MN) all land is high, other parts (like around millelacs) if it's a little less "desireable" and/or away from the touristy traps then you can buy it for what a lease might cost you over 1/2 dozen years.

FYI a good friend is a farmer in SE<MN which is the state's capital for leased hunting ground. He and his local buddies will tell you craigslist is not the way to go about it. take that for what it's worth.

as per your last post if you have $100k to spend you could get into some pretty decent low wetland ground in central, MN and heading north for that kind of coin. I know it's not the epicenter of MN Waterfowl but it doesn't sound like you need to stack up limits every hunt anymore to deem it a success. Most of my best hunts in the last 5-10 years in MN have been in what many would consider the most unusual places in MN

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Hansen wrote:Renovate? Burn. I would rather spend 15K on a travel trailer, 5th wheel, camper, etc. If that property had a 20- 40 acre marsh for 100K. . . now were talking!

Dream on for that amount of $. As from what I've seen, a "huntable" slough where you own it all is premium $, way more than ag land price. So say 20 acres slough with open water in the middle and 60 acres around it (40 tillable) with the old farmstead shelter belt in western MN, I bet that would cost at least $350k, more likely $500k 80 x 5,000 an acre = $400K. Most farmland is 4-6K per acre out in western MN https://www.acrevalue.com/map/MN/Stevens/

Lake frontage is off the charts for per acre costs.

Over $10k an acre http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 244-66572#

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:51 pm

There's a difference between land for sale and land for sucker. It's the Herter's Devoy thread.

Anyway, if you know an area you likely know the sloughs. Might be worth a drive now, Farmers ain't so busy.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Anyone who would pay money to hunt waterfowl in MN is a sucker! Unless the property is ripe for investment... except MN Waterfowlers get all hard for tradition and never cash in an investment until the last duckhunter dies and the millennial heir cashes it out for a nicer car and home entertainment center.

If you've got the money for good MN duck hunting, you've got the money for better duck hunting ANYWHERE. CANADA, MO, ARKIE, LA, MEXICO.

Hunt smarter, don't pay more for less.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”