Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Duck lease

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Wait until you get to age 50 as 2:30AM is a REAL PITA!
Frankly it is one of the contributing reasons I don't go as often as say 15 yrs ago, I just do not function well AT ALL on 3 hrs sleep. :(

All the old guys I know get up 3 times a night to piss or watch tv anyway. Not sure why they don't just stay up and head to the lake during October and November.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:19 am

I'm starting to call it cOLD.

Never used to get cold. After 45 I'm all "WTF, where's my sweatshirt?"

40 was the physical crap: hair in ears and finding gray. 45 was limitations crap like "why can't I move my shoulder after fixing the sink"

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Duck lease

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Hansen wrote:Anyone every lease land, know of a lease or have general feedback. I'm getting too old to get up at 3 AM to get a spot on public water. I have too little time to scout, drive and spend time in western MN. I don't need to pile up duck's anymore. I'm looking for a spot to hunt with my son and I and maybe a few buddies, no more than 3 guys. I've been keeping my eye on Craig's list and outdoors news but there isn't much there. Just keep waiting and looking!

I tried to find a lease several years back and it went nowhere. I got zero leads on it. I was told of one club in western mn but it was expensive and it wasn't that great of a spot imo. I just hunt SD now and maybe a few mn hunts late in the year. No time to scout and drive three hours on weekends for me anymore either.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 pm

May be more work than you have time for, but the wetland banking system has gotten my attention. You could buy some land fairly cheap up in milaca, "restore" wetland under supervision of the state, and sell credits to those that need it to offset costs. I've been looking into it for my property in wright county. It got my curiosity when I was talking to a buddy that works for an excavation company, and he was talking about all the giant projects they were working on making wetlands up near mille lacs for credits. Course buying vs leasing is a whole different animal with financing, payments, etc. If you really just want a place to go close to home, I'd say just start knocking on farmers doors along the Mississippi and politely explain your situation and what you are willing to exchange for exclusive rights to the land. Leasing isn't real popular it doesn't seem like(for waterfowl at least), in all my scouting I've only been told once the field was leased. Having family that hunts the land is a much more common response, which doesn't bode well for a lease or permission

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”