Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Preseason...

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Saw two single ducks fly by last night about 5 minutes apart. Commented to wife it was odd to see a flying duck this time of year and then we argued about whether they were post-molt-drakes or pre-molt-hens. Damn I married a good one!

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 am

:-)

5 pack of weak fliers +1 mamma came by the boat Monday night.

Also hammered the crappies.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 am

Last night at 9:15 with the glow of the western sky as I was driving, movement caught my eye. It was 5 Mallards silhouetted in the glow of the sky, 1 bigger duck leading 4 slightly smaller ducks. Mama did well to get 4 to the fledgling stage.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

prairie hunter
Coot Commander

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I have never seen so many late hatch goslings as this year.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Seen fuzzy wood ducks tonight in a river bottom pond. Some bigger skimmers and some that could fly. Even a family of ringers which are an oddball duck down here.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Preseason...

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm

Nershi wrote:I'll miss the August season. I always got a kick out of the noobs with their hero shots of flightless goslings. I'll never forget the detailed report I once read from a guy who chased around a family through flooded cattails picking off one at a time at close range.

I've seen this years duck hatch flying for a couple weeks now. No geese yet.

We shot them cupped up over alfalfa in august. Anyone that said nothing could fly by then was/is retarded.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:56 am

Saw wood-duck ducklings last night that looks like newly hatched, over a dozen. Second batch?

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 am

^^^ likely yes. Remember that there is 80% predation on the wild nesting efforts. I've had them on the nest July 5th, by the 10th when I checked them again they had hatched - this was 2 yrs ago.

Remember guys that the nesting season start is at least 1 month difference between you 2 guys as SW Mn VS NE Mn is very different indeed for the respective ice outs... I get a kick when guys are talking of Geese in SW MN and in NE MN they are still driving on the lakes.

Saw two single ducks fly by last night about 5 minutes apart. Commented to wife it was odd to see a flying duck this time of year and then we argued about whether they were post-molt-drakes or pre-molt-hens. Damn I married a good one!
Yes you did! But if it's a hen by herself this time of year - it's extremely likely that the brood is dead or her multiple nesting attempts were raided. :(
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:29 am

Also saw a good sized group of mallards pooring into the Minnesota river bottoms last night at dark. It's interesting how different first of the year ducks are in late July.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:06 pm

To clarify, because I hear people misstate this often, and not saying it has been here, but:

A hen only rears one brood. A "2nd nest" occurs if she lost the first nest to predation/flooding/etc.

This is one of those that ranks up there with people calling GWT "cinnamon teal".

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”