Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
big_fish_guy
Coot Commander

what do you want in your waterfowl banquet?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 pm

So I see there is some life in this forum.... been a while since I've been around.

I want to pose a question to you all. (please keep the replies serious and intelligent)

If you received an invite to purchase a ticket for a waterfowl banquet, what would make you buy a ticket?

please rank in order of importance the following:

a - cost of ticket
b - distance of travel to event (say under 30 miles)
c - amount of prizes
d - quality of prizes
e - amount of guns
f - quality of meal
g- the cause of the banquet (ie DU, raising funds for, or Delta waterfowl)
h - other (if you have something else that is more important then all of these)

thanks, looking for some meaningful incite from you guys. (I know, that might be hard for some of you)

also, If you don't attend things like DU banquet, or Pheasants forever or delta banquets... why not?

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: what do you want in your waterfowl banquet?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

a
d
c
g
f
e
b

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm

a b g d c f e

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm

b
a
g
The rest is just filler

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:02 pm

a, f, & g. Prizes are nice and appreciated and certainly cause more of a draw. IMO, as long as the banquet contributes to "waterfowling", I don't care who hosts it.

h. It would be interesting to have a biologist, conservation officer, or sports minded legislator speak.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:05 pm

I was a banquet chair for a number of years, very much understand what your trying to solve.

I think your stuck in a quality vs quantity regardless. There has to be "aspirational" prizes supported by a bunch if schlock. Everyone wants to win, but I'm not dropping $20 on a board for a Benelli Nova.

Biggest issue for me personally: schedule conflicts. 2nd biggest: budget conflicts. I've done enough banquets in my life. I'd be more likely to do a shoot with a dinner after than burning a night listening to someone tell me to "do it for the ducks", counting how much crap the table next to me cleared, and thinking that I'd like to hear more about "doing it for the hunter".

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: what do you want in your waterfowl banquet?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:05 pm

cstemig wrote:a, f, & g. Prizes are nice and appreciated and certainly cause more of a draw. IMO, as long as the banquet contributes to "waterfowling", I don't care who hosts it.

h. It would be interesting to have a biologist, conservation officer, or sports minded legislator speak.
For your h comment. Marty siefert showed up to a few local ones over here. Never did much for standing up and giving a speech but would walk around and mingle and asking what people's concerns were about the outdoors and actually listened to them. He was good for bringing up stuff that was going on at the capital and asking what our thoughts were about them. Really wish his run for governor would of got him in. Would of had a down to earth governor that liked to listen to people's concerns for once.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 am

I was today able to get Joe Hope,. R Chaska. He'd give a "hot topics at the Capitol" overview about outdoor issues and hang out. Good dude.

One other thought, not specifically banquet related but it would be a driver...... Get the Orgs off specific animal habitat focus and get on clean water. If we could get them on clean water, the critters will follow.

One thing that drives me nuts about most fundraising is the focus is a specific activity rather than part of a systemic plan.

And DU can bite dust after dumping Thomas for his conflict with the DU heavy hitter over water access in Montana.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 am

D
E
A
the rest, whatever...

I loathe cheap junky general raffles. It's a waste of my and our time.
Also VERY important and whether I will return - choosem on the prizes. Meaning say there are 5 prizes, 1st winner takes his pick, 2nd his pick, etc. Choosem is also very important for general raffle prizes - basically if I can not choose the prizes via placing a ticket in a bucket/can for a prize that I'd like, then I will not buy any GR tickets. Or if all the tickets go into a big barrel and you do not get to choose the item - that flat out stinks. And then spending 1 hr pulling tickets for too many crappy items - what a turn off. I have enough crap already, the last thing I need is crap I don't want! Thus QUALITY of prizes and choosem is key for me.

Having a good speaker for 10-15 minutes can really make a difference to inform people of the issues and how in the big picture the $ being raised is making a difference. Like a Biologist or similar that shows how $ raised has helped local projects and nationally made an impact. I have to agree with Rob on his points.

I usually limit attending banquets to 1 or 2 a year. if I don't attend a banquet it is usually because I don't have the extra $ or its a scheduling conflict. Between the 4 hunting orgs (DWF, MWA, PF, DU) + the Westonka Walleye Program (they stock yearling Walleyes in Lake Minnetonka) it can be a tough choice. That's when a good speaker, decent prizes and choosem set up can be a enticement to go. Also if guys I know are going to be there can influence the decision (this I think is a BIG part for many other guys of why they will or won't attend).

On quality prizes - remember you ALSO need the people there. You can have the nicest prizes, etc, but if break even is 100 people and you only get 100, what's the point? You need those extra 50 bodies to make a profit for the chapter.
Remember the 5 C rule for if they are going to attend: Commitment = Cash, Check, or Credit Card

Anyway, I hope this all helps and good luck on your event.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

big_fish_guy
Coot Commander

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:06 am

thanks for feedback all.

I'm with you, I've been to a lot of banquets, and some shoots and dinner. I've always thought, if I were to host one of these, what do I like, and what could I do better.

I have not committed yet, but I am seriously thinking about taking up a friends offer to start up a Delta Waterfowl Chapter. the intriguing part to me is that they let you keep a portion of the funds you raise in your chapters account to do things in your area. Things to promote the sport of waterfowling, shooting, hunting in general.
Things like sponsoring youth firearms safety classes, supporting the local HS trap teams, supporting youth hunt day, the stereo-typical/cheesy build a wood duck house, things like that in our area.

So thanks for the comments.... and I welcome others feedback.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”