Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: what do you want in your waterfowl banquet?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 am

Nershi wrote: Two I don't support DU or DW anymore. I did support both for close to 20 years but don't see it as a good cause anymore. Too much wasted money.

The most successful game I saw at a banquet was purchasing a square in a pen with a duck in it. First square that gets chit on wins the prize. People went nuts over that game.

I know DU uses over 80+% of the $ they raise for habitat for many years. And they've been plowing many millions a year into MN habitat for at least 10 yrs now. Just saying.

I thought I had heard of most everything - but that is a great contest idea and a 1st for me!!! LMBO just thinking about the event at a banquet and about that it is so original. We are raising $ for ducks and then using a duck in a contest at a banquet - SNAP! Why didn't I think of that! It's pure genius! :lol:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:39 pm

^^^^ Al, I'm too old and tired to look it up anymore, but DU numbers, in my recollection, typically include what the pass through is from NAWCA and other State and Fed funds. Hell, they'll include $ that Delta/MWA put in a project when they show their pie chart. If DU gets a finger in it they claim the whole pie.

For me, DU ends up being a Conscience Card. It's a place where assholes can easily buy conservation credibility. Koch did it after they lost the HUGE legal fight a number of years ago. Finding Jebus after you get pinched is a quick path to social salvation.

Ranking up there are the water ponds at highway cloverleafs if they do indeed count as "wetland replacement" for damaged/destroyed wetlands of the productive sort.

I'm still impressed with the number of birds that use the highway ponds at Hwy 212 and 101, though.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:46 pm

I donated quite a bit of money to DU over the years. Since I quit my membership they have probably spent almost as much on mailing me marketing materials to try to get me to rejoin as what I have donated over the years. It is good motivation to not give them any more money going forward.

But hey their stickers look cool on your truck right? I honestly think that's why a lot of their members join.

I'd probably support DW if there was a chapter in my area that could actually raise money and do some projects. The local chapter is pretty pathetic and would be a waste of time. I almost went down that road but after one meeting with the chapter I wised up.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 am

Nershi wrote: Since I quit my membership they have probably spent almost as much on mailing me marketing materials to try to get me to rejoin as what I have donated over the years. It is good motivation to not give them any more money going forward.

My thoughts exactly. I do enjoy getting my mailing labels restocked every now and again though.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 am

I think I have enough labels to last for the rest of my life. :D

So how many people still use the mail for their primary communication VS paying bills on line; or sending correspondence via email vs USPS?

I remember when you could get a nice color calendar of ducks when you renewed. I sure would rather of that than labels.

Anyway, DU has been pouring Millions of $ into MN for years now, they are indeed making a difference. Lets put it this way - if you saw a map of DU projects in NA, they have made a difference. I'd hate to see what the landscape would be like if DU never was and none of the habitat was saved. :shock:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

DU does good work and goes good people. They're also arrogant self serving pricks.

Don't fool yourself. They don't care shit your membership dollars. The only reason they charge you is to make the membership have value to you.

What they LOVE is total membership numbers. That drives ad and sponsorship revenue, which is s shit ton more valuable than your $25.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”