Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: stories of

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 am

Goldfish wrote:the night before an early hunt we decided it was a good idea to drink beers and eat white castle and not bring toilet paper on the hunt

Sent from a phancy fone

Hahaha

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: stories of "I should have thought that one through"

Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm

I've always thought these were the things that made duck hunters "special". The lines usually start similarly to "hey y'all, watch this.....":

We won't need the (anchor, push pole, map, gps/compass, etc.).....

It's not THAT (hot, cold, windy, far, etc....)

We have more than enough (gas, ammo, life jackets, food, etc.....)

We got time for one more before hitting the sack......

It's a slough, paddle out, set up, start hunting.....

I NEVER take the plug out of my (gun, boat, etc.)....

This (spot, dog, set-up) ALWAYS produces......

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Hunting 3 guys out of a canoe in a shallow marsh. I'm sitting in the middle and a couple of mallards fly over from front to back. First shot while they were in front, second shot they were directly overhead and the third behind us and as I followed thru the canoe tipped and we got somewhat wet. Never hunted out a canoe after that.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:19 am

I hate canoes. Some of the backwoods lakes by the cabin, guys are nice enough to leave small boats/canoes on shore and its an unspoken rule that anybody can use them just don't take them. Surprisingly they have been there for years without getting stolen. There was a semi weakened fiberglass one at one spot, and we winged a ringer. Hopped in there and rowed into the middle of the lake. Fiberglass making creaking/popping/splintering sounds the whole time. I had visions of the bottom busting out and water shooting up. Luckily it held.

tbuc
Coot Commander

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:46 am

Back before everyone had a cell phone. Late goose season so I am basically the only guy on the river anymore. Air temp is +6, windchill is -28. Landing has 2-3" thick ice. Bust out hole to drop boat in using trailer, a paddle, and jumping on ice. Godevil won't start and broke the pull rope. Tied rope back together, just a little shorter is all and finally get it started. Break path through ice for about a mile or so by driving up on ice then walking to front of boat and rocking it side to side to get it to break through. Drive 16 more feet and repeat. Get to my spot for pass shooting geese as they leave roost and dump a bird in open water. Dog chases and bird dives. Dog goes under and comes up with goose and brings to shore. Dog is instantly froze solid. Dog had very thick, wavy hair so no worries there. Made it back to landing OK, but if motor didn't start or pullrope broke again, I could have been out there for a long time since I never told anyone I was going. I assume work would have called around and eventually my dad would have heard I was missing and sent the search to the river since he knows me well enough. The next day, up river a few miles, a boat tipped on their way out and a kid died. Not gonna say I actually learned anything from that experience other than to make sure I have cell phone and tools to fix stuff along at all times now. I mean I did make it home just fine, so what's the big deal, right?

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”