Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Burlap and mastic

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Figure I"ll pst this here since this is pretty much blue collar joe DIY guys....

Anyone do mastic and burlap, and if so, how many coats do you put on after the initial base layer and top coat?

Other sites have said 3 or 4, but does that include the base and top coat, or in addition too?

Thanks.

Mutha
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Re: Burlap and mastic

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I do and at most 2 coats.. The tricks is to smooth it with a wet brush so as to eliminate sanding ect..

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks Mutha.

I just used wet glove treatment and am happy with the rough and tumble look. I did one coat after the initial set-up.

Maybe I'll do one more mastic run, let them cure and paint them. Have another method I'm going to try this winter. I don't mind work and figuring things out, but 3 coats and x weeks of dry time, and then painting two coats primer, then painting blocks..... I've already got 1 year of working on the first dozen. Need to cut my commitment in half.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:47 pm

You covering with corn cob media or anything?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:16 am

No corn cob, saw dust or anything (often referred to as "restle" coating). Just mastic, burlap, mastic, mastic, mastic.

Since I don't think anyone here is going to bust chops, there are foam/molded decoy forums at working decoys.net . Found a foam coating that mixes with water and provides a grout you coat the foam with. I've got 25 lbs waiting to try, but wanted to try burlapping first....

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm

I just Crisco my molds add unexpanded beads to mold to make a "hard shell" then paint.

I wish I could carve decoys but my art skills are not so good.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm on a refurb of 4+ dozen Herters 72 divers.

I can't carve either. Always had it in my head I could, but will likely need to try later in life since I didn't do it earlier. Not enough time to hunt, let alone dedicate to being somewhat half-capable carving.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”