Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Re: How Much Have You Spent for Hunting So Far?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm

lanyard wrote:Stute, Glad we could have the conversation, I knew you see it my way! :-)

Well I had some points I could argue but I was afraid it was going consume too much of my time with the busy season at work and I can't compete with your sheer volume of thoughts and vocab so basically I just said "f it" you win. Plus it turns out we basically agree on everything but still if I had more time like in winter I would have went down that path and argued my shitty points anyway just because.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

lanyard wrote:Stute, Glad we could have the conversation, I knew you see it my way! :-)

So what are you suggesting? Separate seasons by device used?
Spear season sept 1-15
Archery season say sept 15-nov 15
Gun season roughly nov 15-nov 30
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm more of a libertarian: shoot things with what makes you happy, just don't eff-up someone else's hunt doing it. I'm not trying to bust Stute's balls specifically. With the "By Device Used" we likely get a more balanced experience for all hunters. Not sure why the muzzleloader needs it's own season anymore than why kids need a YWD or we have a government sponsored day of non-productivity called "Labor Day" or the fact that the Presidents we honor with President's Day didn't get to Mount Rushmore by taking a lot of vacation. Archery I'm likely a bit more in-tune to the reason for the season.... we DO need to maximize participation .... power in numbers. Maybe the rub just comes down to scopes on the muzzleloader. Just seems a step to far to me, but I'm one wanker in the field and what knocks my cockles doesn't work everyone.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am

lanyard wrote:I'm not suggesting anything. I'm more of a libertarian: shoot things with what makes you happy, just don't eff-up someone else's hunt doing it. I'm not trying to bust Stute's balls specifically. With the "By Device Used" we likely get a more balanced experience for all hunters. Not sure why the muzzleloader needs it's own season anymore than why kids need a YWD or we have a government sponsored day of non-productivity called "Labor Day" or the fact that the Presidents we honor with President's Day didn't get to Mount Rushmore by taking a lot of vacation. Archery I'm likely a bit more in-tune to the reason for the season.... we DO need to maximize participation .... power in numbers. Maybe the rub just comes down to scopes on the muzzleloader. Just seems a step to far to me, but I'm one wanker in the field and what knocks my cockles doesn't work everyone.

Thing is your argument that we don't really need an more opportunities to hunt is the same reason we don't have a teal season? Didn't it come down to Landwher (sp) saying we don't need any more opportunities to kill ducks, we have enough duck hunting already.

I think you can easily confuse days afield with increase hunter success, and for a lot of dudes it really is just good opportunity to be outside, hide the from the wife, etc. A lot of people don't shoot deer right away cuz they don't want to be done hunting.

It bugs me when people who hunt, for some reason, are against expanding hunting opportunities?? Or being smug about it and saying "I just don't understand why anyone needs to hunt deer that long, or with a scope on their ML" Hunters should be like "I don't get it, but have fun" Cuz I guarantee you guys 95% of the population doesn't understand why people have to shoot anything.

I'm getting sucked in, gotta quit typing.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 am

SMH.

I'm not arguing against a muzzleloader season. I"m all for it. I'm all for an archery season. I'm all for expanded opportunity.

Just not certain how a scope on a muzzleloader expands opportunity. Maybe by giving rifle guys that can't shoot more confidence making it easier for the asshats that can't shoot deer in the Firearms season have second shot and buy another license?

This isn't an issue for me of people wanting to shoot too many deer. It's an issue of changing definitions of specific chase requirements. You put a scope on a muzzleloader and I'm just not that impressed with the difficulty level, where before I was. Like with Spring Snows, using e-Callers and magazine extensions. There's a weird space between increasing hunting opportunity and harvest opportunity.

Why not eCallers in the fall?
Why not "00" shot for deer? They use it some parts of the country
Deer baiting? Legal some places, we already do it for bear
Shining.... how is a deer shot at night different than a deer shot in daylight
Unplugged shotguns.... 6 ducks is 6 ducks, wouldn't we disturb LESS birds if we shot them faster?
Noon opener vs 1/2 before sunrise?
YWD vs Teal Season.... opportunity for some? Is the YWD recruitment effort effective, or simply a marketing/PR play that gets extra budget?

Into this, I put scopes on muzzleloaders. I'm not saying cancel muzzleloader season, I'm asking if a muzzleloader with a scope, at some point, is just a rifle.

For archery, add in CrossBows. Allowable as an alternative to traditional archery to increase opportunity for disabled and as I recall, elderly with a Dr. note... now, anyone over 60. Okay, well, anticipate the march of time and the efforts to increase opportunity will make it legal for any age at some point. Because, you know, it's kind of like archery so let's go get it.

On the "Limited Seasons" part, if what holds in waterfowl is true, the highest success rate/increased harvest will come from people that already harvest. 80/20 rule. As hunter numbers drop as part of the real population it's likely a moot point. Those most likely to take advantage of expanded opportunities are likely the most proficient hunters. So, per hunter increase I'd assume an increase in hunter success per hour of hunting.

Or, it could all end up like the dove season. Expanded opportunity with exceptional bio-mass available for harvest, but a relative pain in the ass for our ag mix and it competes with goose season, where one goose will make about 5 limits of doves.....

I'm not trying to draw you in to some vortex here. But to me, as stated before, I think Robo's are laughable but guys buy and use the hell out of them, so be it. I'm not saying "go to Restricted seasons due to robo use". The position you're trying to pin on me is the one used by jackholes that say things like "No one needs an AR to hunt"? Well, it's on single fire with a magazine and is shooting single shot ammo of a legal size... seems to me the looks of the rifle don't really make a difference and if it pumps your trigger, have at it! But it's a rifle used during rifle season.

I'm really not trying to make a federal case about this. Blaze away. Have fun. Total harvest rates will be managed by seasons and brown deer permits regardless if they had a 90-day all techniques season, and I won't lose sleep over it.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Enough of this feuding! If you want more than 1-deer per season it is easy. Kill one with the purchased license of your choice and kill the other with your car! Better yet, come upon a fresh deer that someone else hit with their car. Problem solved.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:42 pm

cstemig wrote:Enough of this feuding! If you want more than 1-deer per season it is easy. Kill one with the purchased license of your choice and kill the other with your car! Better yet, come upon a fresh deer that someone else hit with their car. Problem solved.

Or go hunt an intensive harvest zone.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Or just shoot another one wherever you are

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Who was talking about wanting more than one deer? It's more along the lines of "is a scoped muzzle loader really just a single shot rifle?"

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:36 am

gimpfinger wrote:Who was talking about wanting more than one deer? It's more along the lines of "is a scoped muzzle loader really just a single shot rifle?"

Team Power Dump

Post in the general thread about buying a license for each season even though the # deer you kill is aggregated. I.e. put in for a antlerless permit for muzzleloader you have to buy a license, but if you shoot a deer during firearms you've used up your tag unless in Managed or Intensive zones.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”