Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: How Much Have You Spent for Hunting So Far?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Fingers crossed for legalizing straight wall center fire cartridges in the "slug" zone as well.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: How Much Have You Spent for Hunting So Far?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm

emptymag wrote:Fingers crossed for legalizing straight wall center fire cartridges in the "slug" zone as well.

They might as well since they left the "pistols" legal to use so wide open that guys are using them ar pistols with those "stabilizers" in all kinds of higher power calibers. The slug zone is more of a feel good tradition thing than anything else these days.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:05 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Personally I think its BS that new technology on ML get a "special" season. If you want to use an inline or scope, great. But the use it during the regular season. Only tradition ML should have special season.

This is pure ignorance.... i shoot traditional archery, traditional ML's, straightwall rifle cartridges and I fully supported this for many years. Making the technology argument is moot at best... do we shoot modern firearms at waterfowl? How about graphite spinning set ups for walleyes? Vexlars for ice fishing? Yes.... there's nothing wrong with taking something and making it more effective and efficient which is all an inline is.

There's roughly 20k muzzleloader hunters annually. The avg firearm shot (including smoke poles) in mn is under 80yds, which most can make open sights. this change isn't going to slaughter our deer herd.

For your comment to hold merit you'd better be fishing w/ cane poles and a canoe, ice fishing on a bucket w/ no electronics and a hand auger, shooting ducks and geese with a ml shotgun and hunt deer w/ a 44-40. Otherwise it's pretty hypocritical. Times change and technology general makes life easier, a scoped ML is as much of a handicap as a compound bow and they still have their own season....

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:35 pm

I think the point is more on the special season. Muzzle loader was sold as "traditional".

At some point it's just a single shot rifle/slug.

Affect the deer herd, no.

But if the only thing special about it is Jicky Jack has to load the breech instead of the receiver is just an extra season, more like spring snows or early/late goose.

I don't give a rip, but the valuation for the original season is no longer Pollyanna dream of past heritage, it's simply more licenses and hunting opportunity.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm picking up what you're throwing down Lanyard, but the truth is the muzzleloader season has always been about expanded opportunities.... not tradition. They get a special season because they asked for it and were essentially given the table scraps after the rifle and archery hunters carved up the season to their own advantage. It's not like Colorado where the season sits in the heart of the elk rut and you're forced to shoot loose powder, sabotless and open sights... essentially ML hunters asked for a special season and were granted "what was left" after rifle and a bulk of the archery season was over. I don't know that any of the pioneers of our current ML pitched it as a purist traditional Jeremiah Johnson type hunt and the state was never obligated to make it traditional. Much like compound bows coming into the world since the inception of archery season this season is no different.... Cameron hanes is accurately popping balloons on YouTube at 240yds with a bow, 350$ ruger Americans are hitting steel at 1000yds and muzzleloaders are now getting scopes. Times change....

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 pm

You have it twisted when you say it was never about tradition. Up until inlines came around it was ball and cap/flint guys decked out in their oldtime mountain man garb.

Team Power Dump

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

For a few of the participants it might be about tradition and nostalgia but I can assure you the majority of smokepolers and the state allowing ML hunters to have their own season was about expanded opportunities and additional license sales. I have yet to see anything that says the DNR wants to keep Tradition of presettlement hunting methods so let's create a seperate season. Nope it's opportunity and money, that's it... for the purists they can still use roundball front stuffers. For everyone else, they should be allowed to scope away.... literally the main gripe in this debate is that the preferred method has become too efficient and too accurate.

The Jeremiah Johnson wannabes shot hawken replicas and roundballs before inlines because that's all they had. Once inlines came out 85% or more switched... they're few and far between

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Correct. But similar to Archery increasingly transferring to full mechanical holds like cross bows.... at some point it ain't at all what it used to be.

Technology helps/hinders across the board and regulations we're in place to limit the advancements to keep unique aspects of of that method of chase. Hell I still think robo ducks are an abomination and crap like the vortex is treason to any act of "pursuit". It's why autos are plugged at 3 and ecsallers aren't allowed.

Get your deer with whatever makes you happy, but let's drop the charade that muzzleloader and/or archery have significant disadvantages in harvest opportunity.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: How Much Have You Spent for Hunting So Far?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:For a few of the participants it might be about tradition and nostalgia but I can assure you the majority of smokepolers and the state allowing ML hunters to have their own season was about expanded opportunities and additional license sales. I have yet to see anything that says the DNR wants to keep Tradition of presettlement hunting methods so let's create a seperate season. Nope it's opportunity and money, that's it... for the purists they can still use roundball front stuffers. For everyone else, they should be allowed to scope away.... literally the main gripe in this debate is that the preferred method has become too efficient and too accurate.

The Jeremiah Johnson wannabes shot hawken replicas and roundballs before inlines because that's all they had. Once inlines came out 85% or more switched... they're few and far between

I will repeat this...it was originally started for the traditionalist. That's all I was saying.

You need to step back and take a breath and read what people are saying because you are trying to argue where there is no argument to be had.

Team Power Dump

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 am

lanyard wrote:Correct. But similar to Archery increasingly transferring to full mechanical holds like cross bows.... at some point it ain't at all what it used to be.

Technology helps/hinders across the board and regulations we're in place to limit the advancements to keep unique aspects of of that method of chase. Hell I still think robo ducks are an abomination and crap like the vortex is treason to any act of "pursuit". It's why autos are plugged at 3 and ecsallers aren't allowed.

Get your deer with whatever makes you happy, but let's drop the charade that muzzleloader and/or archery have significant disadvantages in harvest opportunity.

No disadvantage with archery or muzzle loader? Surely you are trolling - now I'm the sucker.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”