Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

How Are You Going to Challenge Yourself This Year?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 am

What are you going to do to "Spice it Up" this year? Something that will challenge your skills and bring some more excitement? New location, a different call, sub-gauge gun , new gun and/or loads etc. Doing the same thing year after year can get boring.

For me, I'm leaving the semi-auto at home and going back to the basics; Mossberg 500 pump. If I can find a reasonable deal on an older side-by-side double barrel or Iver Johnson single shot, I'm going to try that as well. Bismuth is on the agenda as well.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: How Are You Going to Challenge Yourself This Year?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:24 pm

Going back to my pocket watch and leaving the phone at home.... Too much shit interrupts my hunting while telling time.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:38 pm

I'd like to take the GF on some back woods hunts at the cabin, if I can ever find time to get away

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Chuck, I admire your fortitude choosing to use a single shot this year.

Last year I got constipated something fierce since I suppressed my morning BM that first week not crapping over the side of the boat. Somewhere between MEA and deer opener I leveled out since the weather was mellow and I did a bunch more land based hunting at that point forward.

So I googled "timing BM" or something like that and the google says I should sit down for 20 minutes about 20 minutes after lunch and it probably won't happen immediately but hopefully by duck season I can move my BM to a time that doesn't find me surrounded by aluminum or fiberglass.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:03 pm

Quack wrote:Chuck, I admire your fortitude choosing to use a single shot this year.

Last year I got constipated something fierce since I suppressed my morning BM that first week not crapping over the side of the boat. Somewhere between MEA and deer opener I leveled out since the weather was mellow and I did a bunch more land based hunting at that point forward.

So I googled "timing BM" or something like that and the google says I should sit down for 20 minutes about 20 minutes after lunch and it probably won't happen immediately but hopefully by duck season I can move my BM to a time that doesn't find me surrounded by aluminum or fiberglass.

Might as well lock this thread down,..... The challenge has been won!

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

sports hernia....its a b!tch!! Dont ever get one. Thats my biggest challenge this fall
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Let me share a delayed BM story with you. I wasn't the victim of it, but my hunting buddy Dan was. I had just returned from an overseas deployment and brought back several MREs to use in the duck blind. I shared them with Dan, and he especially got to like the processed cheese spread (aka Gorilla Glue). In fact one morning he ate not only his package of it, but also asked for mine as well. Being the generous sort that I am, I gave it to him. The next morning he complained of cramping and a bloated feeling. Three days later, he was begging for relief. Coffee, castor oil, black licorice, and several over-the-counter aids didn't help either. Finally late evening on the third day, all bad things came to pass. What came out could qualify for a Stephen King's movie. Needless to say, the MRE processed cheese spread never came back into the duck blind.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:48 pm

I just may do an old fashioned hunt from 45+ yrs ago. Herter decoys and wood ones that my Dad had carved 80 yrs ago and use his Win model 12 that is 70+ yrs old. I need to find an old Jones style hat too with a tan cotton coat
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 pm

lanyard wrote:
Quack wrote:Chuck, I admire your fortitude choosing to use a single shot this year.

Might as well lock this thread down,..... The challenge has been won!

I've never won anything on the internet. Thanks!
Thought there might be more feedback on this thread.
I'm also hunting a bunch of new areas, including some motorless areas. I hope they let me put a scope on my canoe.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 pm

BWAHHHH!

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”