Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
shnelson
Mergie Marauder

MN Waterfowl Hunting & Migration Reports 2017

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Reports are hitting my inbox again, I'll do my best to get them posted here every Thursday when released by Mr. Cordts!

21 September 2017

Duck hunters should expect fair to good numbers of ducks present in most areas on opening weekend based on reports from state and federal wildlife managers. Blue-winged teal, wood ducks, and mallards should dominate hunters’ bags in most areas; ring-necked ducks should be more common in the north zone.

The number of breeding ducks in Minnesota, and continentally, remains good based on spring waterfowl surveys. Waterfowl production (number of young hatched) was thought to be fair in Minnesota based on anecdotal field reports. The number of breeding Canada geese in the state was high this year with good production. Molt migrant Canada geese have moved back into Minnesota so goose numbers should be good in many areas.

Water levels are good across most of the state for this time of the year so access should not be an issue for most hunters. Wild rice production was good this year on most wild rice basins. Small grain harvest is complete and some soybean harvest has started.

In recent years, about 90,000 state waterfowl stamps have been sold and based on waterfowl hunter surveys, about 50,000 hunters are expected to participate this weekend. Goose hunter numbers during the September season (26,500) were slightly higher than last year (26,000) but the 2nd lowest on record.

Temperatures on opening day are expected to be in the low 60s in the north and low 80s in the south. Rain and/or thunderstorms are expected across most of the state that may continue into early next week.

Sept 21 2017 MN WF Mig Report.pdf
(95.55 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: MN Waterfowl Hunting & Migration Reports 2017

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks and keep them coming.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:15 am

Personal observations; I've not seen as many teal as past years. I was out look on Wednesday night and saw a few nice bunches but not like years past. We had two notable cool fronts maybe more in September that could have move some teal south. I have seen wood ducks all over, so those tasty guys would be plentiful this weekend.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: MN Waterfowl Hunting & Migration Reports 2017

Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Hansen wrote:Personal observations; I've not seen as many teal as past years. I was out look on Wednesday night and saw a few nice bunches but not like years past. We had two notable cool fronts maybe more in September that could have move some teal south. I have seen wood ducks all over, so those tasty guys would be plentiful this weekend.

Big numbers blew out on the Monday of dove opener, so did 90% of the doves. Many flocks of crows and New geese pushed in. Full moon+any North wind in September kill us up here.

Even noticed a large amount of butterflies showing up that day.

Only seen 7 blue wings after that day.

Team Power Dump
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Hansen wrote:Personal observations; I've not seen as many teal as past years. I was out look on Wednesday night and saw a few nice bunches but not like years past. We had two notable cool fronts maybe more in September that could have move some teal south. I have seen wood ducks all over, so those tasty guys would be plentiful this weekend.

Are you hunting this weekend?

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 am

Well I was wrong. Lots of teal around the marsh I hunting this weekend, both blue wing and green wing. We had a group of 30-50 come right into the hole, super fun! Decent amount of ducks around but the heat, yuck.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:51 am

Hunted yesterday morning. Saw one goose a mile away and not a single duck. Should have went this morning instead.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:01 pm

28 September 2017

Despite the warm temperatures, rain, and mosquitoes on opening weekend, most reports indicated a very good opener across most of the state. Blue-winged teal, wood ducks, and mallards were the most common species in the bag with some ring-necked ducks present in northern Minnesota.

The number of ducks/hunter at different locations across the state on opening day in 2017 compared to 2016 was: Lac qui Parle WMA (2.6 vs. 1.7); Swan Lake (Nicollet county) (2.0 vs. 2.4); Thief Lake WMA (3.5 vs. 2.7); Big Rice (Remer) (1.4 vs. 1.6); Big White Oak (1.9 vs. 1.6); Mud Goose WMA (2.2 vs. 1.6); Roseau WMA (2.6 vs. 3.2); Carlos Avery WMA (2.6 vs. 1.4); Canosia WMA (1.0 vs. 1.4). Both Thief Lake WMA and Carlos Avery WMA recorded their highest ducks/hunter on opening day on record.

Many reports indicated waterfowl hunter numbers were lower than recent years on opening weekend, in part due to the weather. State waterfowl stamp sales through opening weekend declined 6% compared to last year (64,576 vs. 68,662) and were the lowest number on record.

Water levels have improved across most of the state with recent rain events so access not be an issue for hunters. Wild rice production was good this year on most wild rice basins. Small grain harvest is complete.

Blue-winged teal and wood ducks are still present in decent numbers this week; green-winged teal, ring-necked duck and coot numbers have increased since last week. Canada geese numbers remain similar to last week.

High temperatures this weekend should be near 60 in the north and mid to upper 60s in the south with lows in the low 40s in the north and low 50s in the south. Rain and/or thunderstorms are expected across most of the state beginning on Sunday and continuing most of next week.

Sept 28 2017 MN WF Mig Report.pdf
(102.97 KiB) Downloaded 331 times

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:59 am

Lots of geese flying over work this morning.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 pm

5 October 2017

Waterfowl hunting remained fair in most areas last weekend but hunting pressure has declined considerably. At this point in the season, most hunters are waiting for some cold fronts to move additional migrant ducks into the state. The Central Zone reopens on Saturday and the South Zone remains closed until Oct. 14th.

Ring-necked duck numbers have improved in many locations. Wood ducks are still fairly common but blue-winged teal numbers have declined. Redheads have also increased in some areas and small numbers of other midseason migrants have been observed.

Canada goose numbers appear to be similar to last week across the state.

Most areas of the state received significant amounts of rain over the past week that has provided additional habitat for dabbling ducks, including
some sheet water in unharvested agricultural fields. This should provide many additional foraging locations for dabbling ducks and those willing to scout and obtain permission should do well.

The weather forecast calls for seasonal high temperatures this weekend with highs in the 60s in the north and upper 60s in the
south. Rain is expected Friday and Saturday in southern Minnesota. Temperatures are expected to remain seasonal through
next week.

October 5 2017 MN WF Mig Report.pdf
(151.88 KiB) Downloaded 356 times

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”