Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mallard tracker

Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:10 pm

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-tra ... -migration

Couple good nw blows and this trickle could turn into a steady stream. See how accurate this tracker is. My guess, as with most online trackers by the time it's reported, its old news.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Re: Mallard tracker

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 am

Last update was the 10th? We need cold weather, like 35/15 to move mallards down. Even then some will remain.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:44 am

Sk is predicted to get cold next week for a few days. lets hope
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 am

I saw Newdale, Manitoba Thursday will be 33/19 with snow flurries. Next weekend could be elite hunting.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am

Hansen wrote:I saw Newdale, Manitoba Thursday will be 33/19 with snow flurries. Next weekend could be elite hunting.

leaveing for ND Wednesday am.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:28 am

From their site..."Every week from late September to early February, more than 100 experts in North American's Central Flyway rank the progress of mallard migration in their areas. We compile their data to bring you a map showing the status of the mallard migration."

North America's Central Flyway is a lot bigger than I remember it being. That is a pretty big area to draw a migration map using 100 reports.

Just poking fun. I have watched this map in years past. I don't put much faith in to it but it is something to pass time at work while thinking about hunting.

Mid 20's-Mid 30's for nightly lows in SK next week. I think it will be a little while for the bulk of the mallards to come down but who knows.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 am

Winds heading to NW on Sun up there, 40 for DL next Thurs per Intellicast

Intellicast is saying 44 for high here in S Mn next Thurs., but Accuweather is saying 55.

Traditionally the last week of Oct was prime time for ND and MN for waterfowl hunting. IMHO it is the 1st week of Nov now. Often the deer opener is a good time to be hunting waterfowl.

But I remember more than a few times being froze out by Oct 29th in ND and the 7th of Nov in S MN (sloughs froze solid). Not at all saying that'll happen this year.
Often the sloughs were frozen solid by Nov 12th. Remember that back then is was a 40 day duck season and it started the 1st Sat of Oct.
Heck I remember the small local lakes had 1" of ice on the last Sunday of Oct. (about 40 yrs ago) as I was trapping and there was virtually no open water trapping that year.
And some people say that our climate is not getting warmer.... :roll:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Hopefully it's all correct. I would rather have a few good pushed of ducks. I'm headed back to ND the Friday after Halloween, things are looks just about prefect.

Ya it seems our winters don't really start now until December anymore. When I was a kid it was the weekend after Halloween.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 am

1-3" for Brandon MB on Thursday with 34 for a high. lows about 20 and highs in 30s the following days http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=CAXX0044

32 for High on Friday for DL with a bit of snow and staying in the upper 30s the following days http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USND0088

35 for Bemidji and 1-3" of snow And 30s for the following days. 19 for a low next Sunday :shock: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USMN0064

S Mn 40 with a bit of snow on Fri, 40s the following days http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=CAXX0044

I predict that there will be a MAJOR migration Thursday/Friday
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Mallard tracker

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:58 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Heck I remember the small local lakes had 1" of ice on the last Sunday of Oct. (about 40 yrs ago) as I was trapping and there was virtually no open water trapping that year.
And some people say that our climate is not getting warmer.... :roll:

Where the he'll have you been the last 4 years? Heck the last 2 I've been ice fishing before the waterfowl season was over.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”