Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Gearing Up for Spring Snows

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am

So, who else is getting ready for this springs hunt?

I'm going through my older stuff and tossing it, making new decoys, and repainting others. Always looking for good deals on some Avery TNT's or full bodies.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Gearing Up for Spring Snows

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 am

My head is rolling into Spring fishing. Got the green light on Turkeys for this year.

That Spring Snows thing seems like a prime time to pay a guide in my current married/father of the year position.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:03 am

If you are able to get out this spring should be very good! The juvy numbers are insane. But with very little snow as of right now in the Dakota's it might be a quick spring.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, it appears to be going that direction. It is all good, no matter what it is. It is an addiction that must be fed from time to time.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:46 am

But we have a month of winter yet, a few snow storms could drastically change the snow depth in the Dakotas.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 pm

From the reports I have seen, looks like the Arkansas snow opener was a good one! No doubt there is a lot of winter yet and the Dakota's still might get that big snow storm. Might try and get out this spring but lately just been hunting snows in Canada in the fall.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 am

Last year was the first year in 12 I didn't go. The 2 years before that I went solo. Not sure why it gets so hard as people get older to "make it work". Since work is still so f'ed it doesn't look promising this year but I'll have the trailer ready to go in case

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:48 pm

quote="maplelakeduckslayer"]Last year was the first year in 12 I didn't go. The 2 years before that I went solo. Not sure why it gets so hard as people get older to "make it work". Since work is still so f'ed it doesn't look promising this year but I'll have the trailer ready to go in case[/quote]

Priorities change, man. Staking a trip on the hit or miss nature of Spring Snows gets harder to fit in with kids, work, spouses and aging parents.

Add in it's muddier and at my age I end up with a 6 the month "hunting hangover" from the regular season and it's down hill....

I am down to my lowest weight in 3 years, though. If I can drop another 20lbs i'll hit my weight coming out of Basic/AIT in '89 :-). Guessing that will make a huge difference in stamina, etc. Would be a 35lb carve out from.last hunting season. Maybe help with not feeling so "old man".

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Wait until you hit 50......

LMAO!
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Congrats on the weight loss. Yes, it will make a huge difference in your stamina for hunting. I dropped a bunch of weight once and between spring snow geese mud walking and pheasant hunting, the difference was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”