Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:53 am

It's a numbers game from my viewpoint. So want to chase down 50k Mallards in Dec scattered across MN when its froze up? Or hunt open water in Oct when there are 500K of all species of ducks scattered across MN? Fk Dec AND THE 12 DAY CLOSED SEASON IN OCT! Fing Morons!
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 am

Now that I totally understand.... i just don't believe it's fair to blame outfitters and duck clubs or the dnr for that matter. This one's on us.... I remember when the dnr was going through this and it being proposed thinking "this is a bad idea". All things being equal I didn't care. I don't hunt the south zone but have a lot of friends that do and knew this was going to ruffle some feathers (pun intended). Even one of the higher brass in dnr had the stats of avg ducks shot per year by hunters and when they typically shot those (it was something like 11 ducks per year and in the first 10 days of season). And the waterfowling public still chose to move fwd with the proposed split.

Owning mistakes is tough but this is one that the mn waterfowlers made.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:05 am

Mallard_maniac wrote:Now that I totally understand.... i just don't believe it's fair to blame outfitters and duck clubs or the dnr for that matter. This one's on us.... I remember when the dnr was going through this and it being proposed thinking "this is a bad idea". All things being equal I didn't care. I don't hunt the south zone but have a lot of friends that do and knew this was going to ruffle some feathers (pun intended). Even one of the higher brass in dnr had the stats of avg ducks shot per year by hunters and when they typically shot those (it was something like 11 ducks per year and in the first 10 days of season). And the waterfowling public still chose to move fwd with the proposed split.

Owning mistakes is tough but this is one that the mn waterfowlers made.

Yep, very short and selective memories. I think the same would be true for all those whining about an early teal season. If and when they grant one and it becomes worse than a youth Waterfowl day on steroids there will be the same guys blaming the DNR.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm

First the split was going to be mainly for the se and a few guys over that way squashed that with the whole "everyone will hunt here and it'll get crowded" bs so them the DNR I repeat the DNR went with the south zone because they don't want to upset anyone from the se.

Truthfully I don't personally know anyone that voted for the gay spilt dnr poll. I truely believe it was all the se ****** wanting a extended season but didn't want the hunting pressure on their precious river.

Oh and on the warm years me and my cousin broke ice most of them years on thanksgiving as we made it a temp tradition. I miss them slow freezes and new birds every day you go out. These last 6 years can kiss my ass with the instant freeze first week of Nov.

sent from deez nutz lay'n on yo chin
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm

I wanted an extended season on the river like Wisconsin had. I was fine with a se only zone. I did not care what the rest of the state did. Either way I would have just hunted Wisconsin if we had no split.

It will take probably five years of hunters complaining in big numbers to ever get this changed back imo. The dnr moves very slow
gimpfinger wrote:First the split was going to be mainly for the se and a few guys over that way squashed that with the whole "everyone will hunt here and it'll get crowded" bs so them the DNR I repeat the DNR went with the south zone because they don't want to upset anyone from the se.

Truthfully I don't personally know anyone that voted for the gay spilt dnr poll. I truely believe it was all the se ****** wanting a extended season but didn't want the hunting pressure on their precious river.

Oh and on the warm years me and my cousin broke ice most of them years on thanksgiving as we made it a temp tradition. I miss them slow freezes and new birds every day you go out. These last 6 years can kiss my ass with the instant freeze first week of Nov.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:22 pm

I just talked to a guy I hunt with sometimes,who limited the last two days on the river in the se. He said It is really good right now. Of course I'm busy all weekend with my kids hockey. Maybe we just need a se zone but the river hunting often does not heat up until now til the end of november.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Nail in the coffin....Image

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:58 am

gimpfinger wrote:Nail in the coffin....[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181118/d90255bd503dc685f29c69e8c7f6d25d.jpg[/img]

Well they all left three werks ago anyway per Fowler so its a mute point. Next year I'm going to South Dakota mid Octoberfor the massive big push. If not I'll put a big push in the toilet.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Gimp, what's the fishing ice like? You getting into the bottoms like you hoped?

Guessing I'll be hitting the deep sloughs around Windom over Thanksgiving for fish. Hard for me as a guy that grew up fishing north of I-94 to call much of anything SW from Mankato a "lake".

The boom/bust cycles of them are a riot, though. Dead slough one year, massive perch/walleye fishery 3 years later, then dead slough the next year.

If anyone could not go back out the second time those ponds might not get hit too hard, but all it takes is a house to be in the same spot 2 days in a row and everyone knows. By the time they let 2nd shift out of AgChem, Toro, etc., the place will be full.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm

lanyard wrote:Gimp, what's the fishing ice like? You getting into the bottoms like you hoped?

Guessing I'll be hitting the deep sloughs around Windom over Thanksgiving for fish. Hard for me as a guy that grew up fishing north of I-94 to call much of anything SW from Mankato a "lake".

The boom/bust cycles of them are a riot, though. Dead slough one year, massive perch/walleye fishery 3 years later, then dead slough the next year.

If anyone could not go back out the second time those ponds might not get hit too hard, but all it takes is a house to be in the same spot 2 days in a row and everyone knows. By the time they let 2nd shift out of AgChem, Toro, etc., the place will be full.
cant get anyone fired up to go out fishing. So I haven't been out yet. I know of a couple lakes west of me that will still be producing this year.11"-13" Perch and 15-18"eyes on one and 14" crappie and 17"-20" eyes on the other.

If You get desperate i can show you them or we can hit some river bottom sloughs that have pike, perch, gills, crappie, lg mouth and sm mouth in them.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”