Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Bailey wrote:Also, don't forget the season opens a week to two weeks earlier than it used too. I can remember when I was younger opening being octocter 5th some years. Most teal were gone. And it was a noon opener.[quote="h2ofwlr"]The 12 days split is so **** ing retarded it is ridiculous!

Another lost 12 days of open water hunting opportunities all because of a few very vocal well do do (leases) and land owners wanting to hunt Mallards in Nov/Dec.

Meanwhile the rank and file waterfowlers are screwed as we can not afford or get permission to land and the sloughs and small lakes are froze up. :twisted:

1st photo is Bemidji , 2nd is metro

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk[/quote]I'd gladly go back to the framework where the weekend closest to Oct 1 was opener and get rid of this God damn split. 32 huntable fk'n days is all we got this season in sw mn.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I agree with you. Hunting september 21st does not really do it for me just to get a few more teal.. And actually the noon opener wasnt bad since I could at least see where all the idiots were trying to setup.

Honestly I doubt the 60 day season will ever go away. I think the feds duck numbers are bs but they know the dwindling number of duck hunters would really vanish if they went back to a 45 or 30 day season. The guys in the south would go insane. They will be shooting ducks for 2 1/2morth months.
gimpfinger wrote:[quote="Bailey"]Also, don't forget the season opens a week to two weeks earlier than it used too. I can remember when I was younger opening being octocter 5th some years. Most teal were gone. And it was a noon opener.[quote="h2ofwlr"]The 12 days split is so **** ing retarded it is ridiculous!

Another lost 12 days of open water hunting opportunities all because of a few very vocal well do do (leases) and land owners wanting to hunt Mallards in Nov/Dec.

Meanwhile the rank and file waterfowlers are screwed as we can not afford or get permission to land and the sloughs and small lakes are froze up. :twisted:

1st photo is Bemidji , 2nd is metro

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk[/quote]I'd gladly go back to the framework where the weekend closest to Oct 1 was opener and get rid of this God damn split. 32 huntable fk'n days is all we got this season in sw mn.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk[/quote]

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: RE: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Bailey wrote:Why are you so mad? I never hear any hunting reports from you.

Also, who are these lease owners you speak of? Never heard that theory.

I figured that most guys here know when the ducks were in, like 4 weeks ago when it was 10 degrees in Brandon MB Sun and Mon.

The Metro and Rochester outfitters/guides are very vocal in transmitting their desires to the DNR. They want to be able to shoot ducks when goose hunting. It ALL about $$$$ for them. It's the modern day equivalent to Market Hunting of 110 yrs ago.

Also as you mentioned - what if the 60 was cut to 45 or 30 - and how the Southerners would go insane - again the Modern day equivalent of market hunting ($$$$$$$) of the clubs/outfitters/guides.

They (C/O/G) are a very well connected and vocal bunch to their state and the USFWS people.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:17 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:
Bailey wrote:Why are you so mad? I never hear any hunting reports from you.

I figured that most guys here know when the ducks were in, like 4 weeks ago when it was 10 degrees in Brandon MB Sun and Mon.

The Metro and Rochester outfitters/guides are very vocal in transmitting their desires to the DNR. They want to be able to shoot ducks when goose hunting. It ALL about $$$$ for them. It's the modern day equivalent to Market Hunting of 110 yrs ago.

Also as you mentioned - what if the 60 was cut to 45 or 30 - and how the Southerners would go insane - again the Modern day equivalent of market hunting ($$$$$$$) of the clubs/outfitters/guides.

They (C/O/G) are a very well connected and vocal bunch to their state and the USFWS people.

That is a pretty big stretch with the market hunting comment.

Give us a teal season, go back to two zones and leave the opener the date it is and I'd be happy. Ringers are already down by opener so in my opinion it isn't too early. We pretty much never are able to hunt to the end in the north zone unless you count lake superior which basically doesn't get hunted. I think there is some late season hunting in the NW but mainly geese from what I understand.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:23 pm

I agree with your thoughts on season framework

I don't think you fully appreciate how much $ is being made off of hunters by the C/O/Gs

Why did they Market hunt? For the $.

Why are there C/O/Gs? For the $
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:56 pm

There us a guide in SD that started a few years back who built a lodge and charges 900 a day. I was told he is fully booked and alot farmers hate him but will pay 300 and up a day for a field.. 900 a day has to be corporate money. The hunting is not close to what it was 15 years ago in that area so that's a lot of coin for average hunting.
h2ofwlr wrote:I agree with your thoughts on season framework

I don't think you fully appreciate how much $ is being made off of hunters by the C/O/Gs

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Yep it will be 60 forever. The feds will cook the duck numbers and make the boys in Louisiana happy.
h2ofwlr wrote:[quote="Bailey"]Why are you so mad? I never hear any hunting reports from you.

They (C/O/G) are a very well connected and vocal bunch to their state and the USFWS people.[/quote]

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I guess I was looking at the population impact side and not the money aspect. I see your point. They probably have little or no impact on bird numbers; unlike market hunters.

I am no fan of guides and outfitters, especially if they lease up land. Sucks that mentality is spreading in to the Midwest. I couldn’t justify the lease costs they pay down south. Against my principles and couldn’t bend over for good duck hunting like they do.

Waterfowl guides are a fraction of the price of big game. Can’t believe what guys will pay for a guided big game hunt or to hunt on good land. Double to quadruple what I fork out in all my freelance fishing and hunting trips I do each year. The only time I’ve paid a guide was to fish the ocean because renting a boat, buying the gear and doing it on my own was about the same cost and a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm

I think you believe that waterfowl guides and outfits in the state of MN have more clout than they actually do. Honestly the dozen or so legitimate ones in MN are an afterthought at best in our wildlife managers workload. Thinking back to how the current season structure came to be, I don't know or can't think of any one outfitter in the state that was championing against the overall waterfowling public to prolong the season (although some, no doubt are in favor of it). This is a prime example of MN waterfowlers getting exactly what they asked for, not the guides.....

I very clearly remember season-dates discussion and an uproar of common waterfowlers that couldn't fathom not being able to hunt ducks on thanksgiving weekend when they were looking to move the opener up into september. In their defense we were coming off a decade of warm falls/winters and al gore had blasted global warming nonsense all over the media. At the time, considering the past several years, it likely made sense to all that we try to encapsulate more of November and have the splits. Now we're back to old fashion MN winters and we cry foul for getting the very thing the waterfowl roundtable came up with and asked for..... if that's not irony

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Screwed in the S zone again by the DNR

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Yep we had been hunting til the last day of the season for years. The general theory among a lot of hunters were ducks were coming after the season closes. It was supported pretty strongly I think.
Mallard_maniac wrote:[quote="h2ofwlr"]I agree with your thoughts on season framework

I think you believe that waterfowl guides and outfits in the state of MN have more clout than they actually do. Honestly the dozen or so legitimate ones in MN are an afterthought at best in our wildlife managers workload. Thinking back to how the current season structure came to be, I don't know or can't think of any one outfitter in the state that was championing against the overall waterfowling public to prolong the season (although some, no doubt are in favor of it). This is a prime example of MN waterfowlers getting exactly what they asked for, not the guides.....

I very clearly remember season-dates discussion and an uproar of common waterfowlers that couldn't fathom not being able to hunt ducks on thanksgiving weekend when they were looking to move the opener up into september. In their defense we were coming off a decade of warm falls/winters and al gore had blasted global warming nonsense all over the media. At the time, considering the past several years, it likely made sense to all that we try to encapsulate more of November and have the splits. Now we're back to old fashion MN winters and we cry foul for getting the very thing the waterfowl roundtable came up with and asked for..... if that's not irony[/quote]

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”