Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

North Lake

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 pm

I found the geese on my way down to hunt the river near winona today. North is frozen solid as a brick. However, a cornfield south of the launch area right off the lake was black with geese. Obviusly it is leased solid or no hunting is allowed. Im sure many a hunters have seen it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: North Lake

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 pm

Actually pretty surprised how the geese have kept several open patches on lakes near me. Rice Lake in Maple Grove right off 94 is very shallow is typically frozen over but there several hundred geese out there keeping it open. There's another very shallow lake right behind my buddies farm that is typically frozen over but there's several hundred geese keeping that one open too. It's been kinda weird

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: North Lake

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Actually pretty surprised how the geese have kept several open patches on lakes near me. Rice Lake in Maple Grove right off 94 is very shallow is typically frozen over but there several hundred geese out there keeping it open. There's another very shallow lake right behind my buddies farm that is typically frozen over but there's several hundred geese keeping that one open too. It's been kinda weird
I never realized how many geese fergus falls held. Sounds like a rochester now.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am

As long as they can get to corn and have water they will stay all year (not likely). We haven't had sub-arctic temps yet so there is open water here and there.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 am

Fergus Falls has held thousands of geese for a long time! Hunting has been outstanding the last 3 weeks or so. There are still quite a few geese hanging around central MN. I saw a couple different lakes that still had 1000 or more yet. With the temperatures coming this week I would guess those will be gone. I was planning on hunting Sunday but decided not too with the 30 mph plus winds! That was a mistake geese were in the field by 9 am. Might be time to hit the ice and put the gear away!

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Duckman23 wrote:Fergus Falls has held thousands of geese for a long time! Hunting has been outstanding the last 3 weeks or so. There are still quite a few geese hanging around central MN. I saw a couple different lakes that still had 1000 or more yet. With the temperatures coming this week I would guess those will be gone. I was planning on hunting Sunday but decided not too with the 30 mph plus winds! That was a mistake geese were in the field by 9 am. Might be time to hit the ice and put the gear away!
Im guessing it is pretty darn hard to get on land near Fergus. Looks like there are all kinds of guides around that area and I assume they have the land locked up in every direction.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Bailey wrote:
Duckman23 wrote:Fergus Falls has held thousands of geese for a long time! Hunting has been outstanding the last 3 weeks or so. There are still quite a few geese hanging around central MN. I saw a couple different lakes that still had 1000 or more yet. With the temperatures coming this week I would guess those will be gone. I was planning on hunting Sunday but decided not too with the 30 mph plus winds! That was a mistake geese were in the field by 9 am. Might be time to hit the ice and put the gear away!
Im guessing it is pretty darn hard to get on land near Fergus. Looks like there are all kinds of guides around that area and I assume they have the land locked up in every direction.

Its hard getting on land anywhere these days! I am sure Fergus Falls is even worse.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: North Lake

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:18 pm

True on that.
Duckman23 wrote:[quote="Bailey"][quote="Duckman23"]Fergus Falls has held thousands of geese for a long time! Hunting has been outstanding the last 3 weeks or so. There are still quite a few geese hanging around central MN. I saw a couple different lakes that still had 1000 or more yet. With the temperatures coming this week I would guess those will be gone. I was planning on hunting Sunday but decided not too with the 30 mph plus winds! That was a mistake geese were in the field by 9 am. Might be time to hit the ice and put the gear away!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk[/quote]

Its hard getting on land anywhere these days! I am sure Fergus Falls is even worse.[/quote]

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”