Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Snows Geese

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:41 am

Going to be an interesting spring for guides in the Dakotas. 10 day is still brutal cold. With the amount of snow I doubt they get any action until April and it may be a quick migration imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Snows Geese

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:19 am

When it happens, I think that there will be really muddy fields/roads, unlike anything we have seen for years. Currently there is a lot of snow cover and who knows how much more March will bring. There will be a lot of sheet water, making almost impossible to access some areas. A couple of years ago, they closed a lot of the secondary roads to anyone, except the local residents. They wanted to minimize the road use for mail delivery, agriculture use, and emergency vehicles.

I agree that the migration will be fast and furious, at least with the leading edge birds. If the snow pack does not melt quick enough, the birds will shift west to the Missouri River and go up from there.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Its going to be a huge mess out in the Dakota's with all the snow, my guess is when the weather does switch the birds will be on a mission to get up north. Considering last springs hatch was terrible and from reports from down south its going to be tough going. I will wait and hunt them in the fall in Canada. Too old and lazy to deal with the mud anymore.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Snows Geese

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Duckman23 wrote:Its going to be a huge mess out in the Dakota's with all the snow, my guess is when the weather does switch the birds will be on a mission to get up north. Considering last springs hatch was terrible and from reports from down south its going to be tough going. I will wait and hunt them in the fall in Canada. Too old and lazy to deal with the mud anymore.
I agree i have not done it in years. My buddy usually puts out decoys near aberdeen, sd but they have so much snow who knows if he will even do it this year. I remember hunting them there one year around march 15th in 65 degree weather. Not happening this year.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:51 am

I was in Omaha last weekend, they have piles of snow. The MO river has pushing tons of slush. Things looks to open up in about 10 days with a slow warm up. ND and SD will be a mud fest. Usually around St. Pattys day the geese are around Sand Lake, not this year.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:22 am

As it stands today, I'd say S SD will have lots of geese 3-4 weeks from now. Eastern ND it'd be 1st week of April before they see them, and 2nd week in force.
As mentioned, the NW route is quite likely. On the map, not a lot of snow in NW ND and SK, once the snow along the MO river in SD melts, that's where they'll head as there's a LOT of snow in NE SD and eastern ND.

If a guy had the $ and time, head to S or SE SK. Minimal snow, so shouldn't be nearly as muddy there plus minimal pressure by the ditch crawlers up there,. so they should relax and be a bit easier to hunt.
Attachments
NC.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:32 pm

Buddy just texted my this. This is right next to sand lake.

Would think so. Talked to Jeff Hanson yesterday. Road north of his house toward field where we hunt is closed. Four to five feet of snow on it almost all the way up to highway, more than a mile.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:15 pm

1.3 mil in Loess Bluffs, compared to 20 last week. That is something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:39 am

God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

Headed to west river Saturday. I'll report if I see any on my venture.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”