Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Lessons Learned from This Past Season?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Oh my.... we have a genuine bromance going on here....

It's a'ite fowler, you're still my b***h. :mrgreen:

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Musher
Coot Commander

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Dog needs more work.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Get a faster boat, or hunt where there are less people.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:06 pm

emptymag wrote:Get a faster boat, or hunt where there are less people.

I would go with less people, even with a faster boat people will just get to the spot you're on and set up fitty yards from you. Problem then is you will be setting up already.

sent from your bedroom closet
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:07 am

Seems I'm re learning a lot of the same lessons. Always have a plan a,b,c and d. If you are in a good spot to many decoys are a butt pain. In a bad spot, 13 dozen are about half of what you'll need, with about a bakers dozen spinners. Weekday hunters seem more polite. Decoy hunting is a lost art form. Not sure why some guys put out decoys when they are basically just pass shooting? A good spot light is a treasure. Good head lamps are one of the greatest inventions for the modern day hunter. Dry pus waders are so, so, so, very much more better than neoprene's. Fleece and gortex have come a long way. I love my sling more with each passing year. My mud blind bag and my shell belt have become like old friends. A couple extra zip loc bags are a good idea. Moving a few decoys during the course of a hunt out of the kill hole can save a few from sinking. Moving the spread a little can pay off huge. Moving all together can pay off huge as well. If birds prefer another area there is very little reason to stay put other than laziness. The older I get the less and less junk I clutter myself with out in the field. Simplicity is another lost art form. I still prefer my face mask to face paint. I carry face paint and put it on my way to white ish yellow lab, he sticks out like a sore thumb without it. But he sure hates me putting it on him. Candy bars, Gatorade, waters and coke become valuable commodities when other people forget theirs. The bottom of a boat is a soaking wet place when duck hunting and gloves, hats and jackets always find the deepest puddles to sit in. Maintaining outboards, boats and trailers is best done at the public access while there is a line of people behind you. Or so it seems by peoples actions. Preparation and preparedness are highly overrated. The smaller your spread the less likely it seems people will down wind you? Greet CO's with a friendly hello and some cookies. Talk their ear off so they try and avoid you next time around. This is a highly under rated tactic. If they know you are going to try and talk to them about their political leanings, their thoughts on abortion, legalizing gay marriage and the high price of oil per barrel, they'll avoid you like the plague.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:15 pm

best lesson I learned was how to use FB to " thrown a wrench" into D-bag friends internet scouting.....
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:50 pm

ducksmuggler wrote:best lesson I learned was how to use FB to " thrown a wrench" into D-bag friends internet scouting.....

Do share.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”