Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
WisconsinHunter
I came here for the barrel sticker

Possible Swan Season

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Hello All, esp eastern Minnesota hunters.

I am a new guy here but I wanted to tell you about possible changes in Wisconsin that could benefit hunters on the Mississippi River. We all know that we share one of the premier waterfowl areas in North America.

Currently Wisconsin will have a question on their Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearing ballots that will ask the state to work on establishing a tundra swan season in Wisconsin.

More than likely if this were to go through, it would be in zones, and I would most definitely assume that the river would be a major one. in 2011, more than 70,000 swans were counted on the river.

If this did go through, this would be non resident opportunists to hunt swans here in Wisconsin. You can already go west to the Dakotas to hunt, why not have an option to head east as well?

Nothing is set in stone as far as cost or number of permits. We need to get this question passed though.

Monday April 14th a 7:00pm Wisconsin will hold a hearing in all 72 counties. We sure could use more votes in favor of this hunt. I am expecting a large turn out of anti hunters, esp in our more populated counties. That is what makes our less populated boarder counties critical in winning this vote. All you need to do is arrive at the meeting with a photo ID and vote yes for the swan question. It may benefit you to stay the whole meeting but it is not required.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message and I can help the best I can.

Thanks everyone.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Possible Swan Season

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks for sharing the info. That could be fun having that kind of hunting opportunity so close.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 pm

I am all for this
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:42 pm

The Feds ain't even gonna raise an eyebrow, but I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

Good luck!

Maybe in 10 years? Maybe?

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 am

Quack wrote:The Feds ain't even gonna raise an eyebrow, but I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

Good luck!

What makes you so sure?

WisconsinHunter

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:51 am

Actually it's pretty much just a matter of getting tundras delisted as protected in Wisconsin. That is what this vote will help do. Once that happens, it's just hashing out the details of the season. Stuff like cost, zones and quota.

Wisconsin is already "offered" tags each year though we do not have a season set up.

Please try to get to the meetings and get a yes vote in. Bring some friends. The more the merrier.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 am

Waterfowlist wrote:
Quack wrote:The Feds ain't even gonna raise an eyebrow, but I guess ya gotta start somewhere.

Good luck!

What makes you so sure?

1.) Posting anonymously on the internet
2.) I specifically asked Cordts about swan hunting this fall, and granted he's MN not WI, but the path to swan hunting was long and convoluted. Hard to imagine it would be so easy to do in WI. I don't know much about swan ecology in WI, but if they have trumps mixing with tundras, that might be a bit of a hurdle and an easy stopper for the anti's. Lot of assumptions on my part, no denying that. :D

WisconsinHunter

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 am

The tundras and trumps do not intermingle very much. Utah has a similar situation with a swan season already in place. If we could get swans delisted here, it would take 2-3 years for everything to fall in place. It wouldn't happen over night but wouldn't take a decade either. Regardless, got to start somewhere.

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:52 pm

I can't tell the difference...
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm

bow-fishhunter wrote:I can't tell the difference...

Lots of people can't. Don't feel bad.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”