Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: First Year Rookie

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:11 pm

You can view it how you want, but the fact is that a lot of guys take this stuff personally, so I'm just trying to key you into the typical mentality. Eventually though, you will be down winded by some jack wagon who showed up at shooting time after you have been sitting they're for the past 4 hours to get your spot, and you will realize the frustration

Sent from a phancy fone

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:20 pm

lumbertick wrote:It's one thing to talk to a handful of guys in a pick up truck...but remember that WWW stands for world wide web...that includes a lot of folks. Personally I think your descriptions are pretty safe....I just wouldn't name lakes or specific management areas. I like to believe that most internet scouters don't have the energy to drive around the entire state south of Mankato to find a few ducks....if they did...they wouldn't need the internet. :geek: Personally I like to hear the general locations folks are seeing birds in....not that I plan on heading to the area...but it gives me insight as to the patterns of the birds in locations that I do hunt. I guarantee that I am not a threat to anyones hunting spot!

As for waterfowling advice...quit now. It will be easier on your finances, social life, relationships and general well being. :D

If it's too late for that...the only sage advice I have is to study the birds year round. You'll start to pick up on where birds will be and where they won't. What scares them and what makes them feel comfortable. The more you know....the more you know...you know!

lt

It's far to late to quit now, I bit hook like and sinker on the first day no going back now, and yes my wife already hates it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Shnelson Goldfish I agree there with the both of you I waited for it to happen all year and it didn't even just by chance I figured it would but apparently I was lucky and I also agree with how lumbertick let's ducks work others decoys if that's what they chose first, but once they shoot it's all fair game in my opinion. None the less I know you were trying to give me advice and I probably acted a little more sour than I should have, I suppose in the end it is somewhat of a competition for the ducks attention.

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:58 pm

dwendt wrote:So then why would he bother asking how far south of Mankato..it seemed to me he was asking where I had success, it doesn't matter to me if people show up I'll just find another spot if I think the pressure is to high on a property. And if that were the case I'm not sure why people would use DU migration reports, many people tell where they are hunting and number of ducks seen, I reported a couple times and if people were showering for spots they would have seen my report none the less and been there next time and I never saw it.

I never askd were you hunt..or your seccess..I askd how far south because I'm always willing to take sum new guys out..I took goldfish out twice this year in my boat and then we also mayde a run together down to lacross to hunt with a guy we've never mett before. ..but here's an example my wife gives good bjs no I'm not gona get one every day but I sure as hell ain't gona let sumbody use it if I ain't.

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:01 pm

And yes I had good seccses south of kato but there were a lot of idoits also skybustin sittin fiffty yards off of you and no curticy at the landing ill atlest shoot the shet for a bit

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:02 pm

Where I come from the ducks don't give bjs

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:05 pm

hillbilly wrote:And yes I had good seccses south of kato but there were a lot of idoits also skybustin sittin fiffty yards off of you and no curticy at the landing ill atlest shoot the shet for a bit

I experienced some of that too we just decided to find other spots rather than lose ducks because they don't know their range. I didn't have anyone sit that close to me though.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 am

You will learn. Loose lips sink ships.

Just an example here. Was deer hunting a few years back. I had went up a week before rifle opener to do some bow hunting and scout for the family for opener. Friday came and I was telling everybody in my group where the deer were moving from and where they should sit. Some "friends" from another camp that hunted the same area of public land but never by us were there as well. The next day about a half hour in I heard shooting about 150 yrd away in the direction the deer should be coming... yep it was them. The all set up along the ridge on the other side of the valley where I told my group were going to come from. Their group of 3 got 5 deer that day. We didn't get any.
That's what happens. I put in a weeks work for my family and tha ahole shows up Friday night. You may be a nice guy but there all always a holes out there that will cut another mans throat to get an easy hunt without putting in he hard work. I'm not spending years finding good spots that are not over pressured or covered with idiots so some new guy can just pin point my location by reading a few posts on a internet thread.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes I haves learned that as well. I took my neighbor hunting and 2 yrs later he took a friend. That friend took a friend and on and on. I also told one member of TOS about it in a pm. He was struggling and I put him on some late season mallards. It was a dam circus the following season. When you hunt an area for 20 yrs you see the ebb and flow of people. Know who's been there and who's new. You see familiar faces and them with strangers. And the strangers showing up with new strangers and the cycle repeats.

greenheadlover
Coot Commander

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:40 pm

this thread is getting a little off track it seems, Id say the big 3 things I'd recommend are scout, scout and then scout some more, you got time, find the birds, watch the birds & their day to day habits etc. become a duck basically

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”