Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: First Year Rookie

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:49 pm

When do you typically pull your jerk string? When you initially see the ducks and they're eyeing up your decoys? After they already make a pass and are coming back around to get them to commit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Anytime you think they will not see you pulling the string. The movement is valuable even if they are not within sight of your decoys because it creates ripples which will be visable once they get close enough to see the spread. I think at times the ducks key in more on the ripples in the water than the moving decoys, especially if it is flat calm. Remember ducks can see nearly 360 degress so you need to be careful about when you're making the jerk. Sometimes I will pull the bungie tight and hold it until the ducks are most likely to see the movement (crossing flight as they work) and will release it making the decoys "swim" away. That way your decoys are moving when they are most likely to see them but your hand is not since all you are doing is releasing the string. Once they commit drop the sting and grab the boomstick.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Boat for sale on craigslist..that I'm somewhat interested in

"14 ft duck boat that has a collapsible blind with the avery fast grass mats on it. Boat is in good shape with no leaks what so ever trailer has new tires and new wiring for the lights. It will come with your choice of an 18 hp long shaft johnson or a short shaft 20. "

I was browsing CL for random hunting gear and I come across this, just want to get your guys take on it, he wants 800, that a pretty fair price for the boat and motor? I have never purchased a boat I don't really know pricing very well

W

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:02 am

It doesn't seem bad. Not sure what year/condition the motors are in. "Collapsable" blind can mean a lot of things. Gas tanks and fittings for the motors?

Personally, I typically start with a rule of "2s"~ $200, $200, $200. Since it's an 18 or 20hp, not a 9.9, you'll be spending more than $200 on the motor. If the boat is in good shape, $200. If the trailer isn't rusted to chit, has fenders, decent tires/wheels, was actually made for towing a boat sometime after the Nixon administration, etc. $200.

If the blind is a home made job, then you will need to judge the skill of it's builder. Unfortunately, a lot of do it yourself types measure value in how much time THEY put into something. Idiots put A LOT of time into things that don't work well, and magically think you will be saving money because it's cheaper than a blind in the Cabela's catalog.

Go look at it first before you start thinking offer numbers. Wanting something is surest way to overpay for it. Sometimes though, a guy just wants to get things moved, so you might be surprised and pay a full asking price just because the thing is that good. I've gone both ways on decoys: one guy's stuff sucked so bad and required so much work I offered him 30% of his total asking price and got the deal down. Another deal was done with pictures and I sent him a check for the full amount. The pics/full amount was the better deal!

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”