Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
dwendt
Mergie Marauder

First Year Rookie

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 pm

This year was my first year hunting, I had a pretty good first year experience, I went out with one of my buddies who is fairly experience and he did a pretty good job showing me the ropes in my opinion. I wasn't 100% sure I would like it, so for opener I went out in my hardwood camo being told it wouldn't matter with how the ducks fly and my friend didn't have decoys down either so I was skeptical to say the least. Let me tell you after day one, I WAS HOOKED, it amazed me how the birds flew all morning long, it was like a war zone on the pond we were on (public land). We did alright for not having decoys and it being several guys first time shooting at ducks. We ended up with 4 BWT and 1 goose. We didn't see nearly that amount of pressure on the other ponds or that pond for the rest of the season, a couple hunters here and there...but we also didn't see that many ducks, I have heard that maybe that was due to a late hatch this year? I don't have any experience with this type of knowledge so I wouldn't really know.

That being said through out the season I have slowly invested a little more to improve my experience little by little.

Now what I'm looking for is some experienced hunters on this page to give me some good solid advice for next year, I have hunted about four different local public lands in southern Minnesota, south of the Mankato area.

Advice on all aspects of Waterfowl hunting are greatly appreciated!

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: First Year Rookie

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Get waders, get a dozen decoys, and learn to use a call properly. Don't listen to competition callers for a "how to", watch ducks unlimited or delta waterfowl YouTube videos for how and when to call ducks. And practice from now until next fall. Leave it in your car and practice on your commute. Also, you don't need a $150 call, but make sure you try a few to see what works for you. It could be the $10 clearance call that works best.

Keep the wind out of your face and the sun to your back when at all possible.

Sent from a phancy fone

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Don't ever be afraid to set up different then everybody else. Watch the flock size and the ratio of hens to drakes and set decoys accordingly.

I suggest starting with a drake whistle and learning that, everyone does the lonesome hen or the comeback call practice those a lot, keep the volume down.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Welcome to the site! The best advice is to read topics and ask questions. There no such thing as a stupid question and I know Shawn (owner of this site) well enough that he will not tolerate any snide remarks from members towards guys wanting to learn. We all have to learn, so ask away.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:36 pm

h2ofwlr wrote: There no such thing as a stupid question We all have to learn, so ask away.

with in reason.......and yes we all have to learn so keep askin.

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:34 am

Lots of waterfowl hunting experience on this website so feel free to ask questions as others have
said. We'll all been where you are now & everybody will be helpful.

Main thing is to have fun. To many videos out there trying to depict hunting as serious business.

And don't worry about buying all the crap that's advertised. Believe me most of it is junk
& you can do without it. I've bought most of it & learned the hard way :lol:

If you have a gun & shells with a decoy or two you're good to go.

Good luck to ya & have fun

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 am

How far south of mankato because I hunt down there from time to time

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming if you can!

hillbilly wrote:How far south of mankato because I hunt down there from time to time

Hillbilly: We hunted Maple River WMA pretty frequent until I had the time to scout some other place out a little further west of there more around Vernon Center, which is where I'm from, I'd be willing to hunt a little ways north of Mankato as well, I just need to make some time before next year to get up there and scout it out.

Where have you had luck down here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:27 am

dwendt wrote:Where have you had luck down here?

Asking for locations is taboo amongst duck hunters. So is listing locations pretty much. There are a lot of people who scour the internet looking for places to hunt, so if you don't want to be crowded out by 6 other groups of hunters, guys usually keep the spots on the down low

Sent from a phancy fone

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:34 am

Goldfish wrote:
dwendt wrote:Where have you had luck down here?

Asking for locations is taboo amongst duck hunters. So is listing locations pretty much. There are a lot of people who scour the internet looking for places to hunt, so if you don't want to be crowded out by 6 other groups of hunters, guys usually keep the spots on the down low

Sent from a phancy fone

Good point.....Most I'll say is a county but that most times will be a lie. That's even to people I personally know.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”