Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Re: First Year Rookie

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:36 am

So then why would he bother asking how far south of Mankato..it seemed to me he was asking where I had success, it doesn't matter to me if people show up I'll just find another spot if I think the pressure is to high on a property. And if that were the case I'm not sure why people would use DU migration reports, many people tell where they are hunting and number of ducks seen, I reported a couple times and if people were showering for spots they would have seen my report none the less and been there next time and I never saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:37 am

Same here. My descriptions are usually pretty vague

Sent from a phancy fone

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 am

I'm sorry but I find that incredibly sad, I've always viewed hunting both waterfowl and deer as a great friendly community, I've had guys drive by and ask how we did and I never hesitated to tell the truth and neither did my buddies. It just seems selfish to try and "Hog" the land, I know you're not saying people can't go on it or anything but really if it's good hunting people will find it anyways if it's not crazy out of the way.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:11 pm

You have much to learn young grasshopper...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:36 pm

gimpfinger wrote:You have much to learn young grasshopper...

Indeed. I don't mean be an asshole about it. I am more than friendly to other hunters. A lot more so than most it seems as I won't shoot at birds that are working another spread even if they come close to me, I stop calling if birds are working someone else's spread as well. Those actions usually are not returned. I just figure trying to literally fight each other for birds usually just ends in nobody getting anything. However, word spreads very fast about birds, so talking about it with specific locations will make those bud go away very fast and then you need to burn resources to find them again.

Sent from a phancy fone

greenheadlover
Coot Commander

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 pm

dwendt wrote:I'm sorry but I find that incredibly sad, I've always viewed hunting both waterfowl and deer as a great friendly community, I've had guys drive by and ask how we did and I never hesitated to tell the truth and neither did my buddies. It just seems selfish to try and "Hog" the land, I know you're not saying people can't go on it or anything but really if it's good hunting people will find it anyways if it's not crazy out of the way.

(hint) see your already catching on

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:50 pm

At how the two of you have reacted to this (poorly) if rather learn the curve myself and same goes for anyone else who feels that way about sharing land or successful hunts. Not like you can hunt every day fellas, spread the love. I will continue to hunt the way I do and if I think there is to much pressure on one of my spots I like, guess what, there's plenty of water to go around I think I'll manage to find another spot.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or directly ask for a spot to hunt, I just asked where he had success, chances are next year I won't remember where he said he had success and even if he did tell me I might not even have access to the land with my limited start up.

And another thing is you can tell a guy a specific pond or WMA or AMA or whatever and he still won't know what side of the land you sat on what time the ducks were flying what they decoyed best to or how they reacted to calling. There are to many factors than simply giving up a location to successful hunt and chances are if they're looking on the web for hunting locations they don't have the patients to scout or figure out where to sit or how to hunt the ducks in that area so why would they hang around if they don't get it the first day.

lumbertick
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 pm

It's one thing to talk to a handful of guys in a pick up truck...but remember that WWW stands for world wide web...that includes a lot of folks. Personally I think your descriptions are pretty safe....I just wouldn't name lakes or specific management areas. I like to believe that most internet scouters don't have the energy to drive around the entire state south of Mankato to find a few ducks....if they did...they wouldn't need the internet. :geek: Personally I like to hear the general locations folks are seeing birds in....not that I plan on heading to the area...but it gives me insight as to the patterns of the birds in locations that I do hunt. I guarantee that I am not a threat to anyones hunting spot!

As for waterfowling advice...quit now. It will be easier on your finances, social life, relationships and general well being. :D

If it's too late for that...the only sage advice I have is to study the birds year round. You'll start to pick up on where birds will be and where they won't. What scares them and what makes them feel comfortable. The more you know....the more you know...you know!

lt

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 pm

But then again I don't view it as burning resources I just see it as more time to spend in the wonderful outdoors of Minnesota.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Don't let them discourage you dwendt, they were just trying to give the harsh reality of what to expect. I think it's one of the more important aspects to learn about the sport as a new hunter, as depressing as it is :).

I tend to agree with lumbertick. If you run into some guys at the launch on your way out, there's no reason not to be cordial - you'll probably learn a thing or two from each other and it's not like the spot is a secret to either of you.

What can get you into trouble (tires slashed, windows broken out or worse) is 'ruining' another guys hunt by giving up his honey hole on the internet - even if it's a publicly known WMA. I know that's a poor way to look at it, but it's proven true from time to time.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”