StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Re: If you were to buy a new semi-automatic shotgun...

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:00 pm

dwendt wrote:I cringe when people say "I don't clean my gun a lot"

I know I probably over clean mine but I never understood lack of cleaning it. Last thing I want is it to fail

When I get back home after a morning of hunting I clean birds, dry out my equipment, fill the gas tank and charge the boats battery, cleaning the gun is 5th on my list, it gets neglected quite a bit, I'll spray it down with WD 40 or whatever but don't go nuts with it. Point was ime the montefeltro can take neglect and still work, at least it has for me.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm

dwendt wrote:
emptymag wrote:
dwendt wrote:I cringe when people say "I don't clean my gun a lot"

I know I probably over clean mine but I never understood lack of cleaning it. Last thing I want is it to fail

I hear ya. A few years back I decided to shoot my M2 until it gave me a few problems. It made it one summer of sporting clays, duck season, snow geese then acted up the end of the next summer. Around 2000+ rounds.

That's awesome that you put that many rounds through it and then just started having problems, seems like a lot to me anyways. What ended up being the problem, just gummed up?

Slide rails in the receiver gummed up and junk in the recoil spring tube in the stock.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:44 pm

I've been shooting an auto for 25 years, started with an 1100 and then the 1187 and bought a Versa Max 3 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat, my only complaint on it is the camo has wore thin in a few spots which is only cosmetic I guess, otherwise been a great gun....

I think there are a lot of good auto's on the market today.............
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Tola~ start with figuring out if you want gas or inertia driven. They have their +/-.

Then do fit. Any of the top line autos will run fine. One story line change is after Franchi got bought by Benelli they are, or at least have been, all inertia driven. You can find older models that are gas in good shape.

I prefer gas. Softer recoil, has always seemed to be less of a PITA. But it's whatever works for you. My OLD Franchi out performed my old man's SBEII in function, weight, balance, and down time. As long as it gets cleaned there have never been issues with cold. and I'm not talking strip down, but a quick break down, clear the gas ports, run a bore snake, and reassemble.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:58 am

Shot the best round of sporting clays of my life with a Browning Maxus last night... Boy is that a smooth gun. I've narrowed it down to a Maxus or an A5
Craigslist Prostaff

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Nice guns.

Extension tube wont fit on a maxus if you snow goose hunt.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:43 pm

I think you're on the right track.

Shot a Browning Gold one time, the damn thing shot sooooo soft I didn't like it!

Jrp267
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:01 pm

New gun, I just bought an a300 outlander. 100 rounds today. Never missed a beat. Might have to sell one of my nova's. Really fit well. Smooth action. Of course I am in the honeymoon. It may make me regret it, come season.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”