lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Drake....

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:44 pm

Purchased 5 years ago, a pair of Drake MST Eqwader waders. My first, only and last Drake purchase.

When the waders first came out I liked the style, buckle boot backs, etc. I do a lot of walk-in.

The first time I put them on, I should have returned them... too short. Designed to fit maximum 6' 1", and that would be a stretch. But I was on my to NoDak, literally, so off I went.

Quickly learned how low the "out seem was". They put the hand warmer pocket inside the waders. Keep it dry. Great~ but to get hands inside they lowered the underarms by about 6". Maybe not so noticeable on less than 6' 1" (probably perfect for 5' 10"), but I quickly learned that they were more like wader pants with a bib, than what I would consider "chest waders".

Then came the disappointment with materials. The rubber boots quickly became thin and flimsy... the rubber equivalent of elastic that has lost it's spring. Then were the seams starting to weep a bit. Nothing noticeable, and after some time from ownership, but not bad. However, I only ever wear these maybe 3 days a year as my hunting has been cut short from kids and work. I get time degrades products, but I don't anticipate basic functionality to disappear without use. Perhaps it was a care/maintenance problem, I don't know.

Now, the during the two days I'll wear them this year, one seam has opened and water fills the boot. Maybe it was a stick, maybe it was from me "stretching" them to fit my taller frame, or just oxidation, I don't know. But after the miserable start, I'd rather have EARNED the whole in them, as they haven't been punished by any stretch.

In all~ I think there were likely GREAT waders, new, for someone shorter. And somehow the value was lost on me and our relationship never panned out. However, I'm left feeling Drake as a brand is long on design/aesthetic and short on fit/function.

Sure, I may never find another pair to compare to "that one pair", the LaCrosse 5mm that beat hell for damn near a decade through my pre-marriage/pre-kid hunting seasons. But as I continue to search, I'll not be including Drake in my brands to choose from. Looks: Good Fit: Small Performance: Low

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Drake....

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

I bought a drake blind bag. The zipper and the shoulder strap broke within the first few outings. I emailed and called a few times with no response. I refuse to purchase any more of their products.

My next waders will be lacrosse or hodgemans.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Cousin buys a ton of drake stuff. I'm personally not a huge fan. It's all in the name.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Only drake thing I've had that has held up is a pullover. Everything else that I've had of theirs has fell apart within 2 years.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”