greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Lanterns

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Looking at getting a lantern and don't know a thing about them. Have an old 4 D battery Coleman that quit working and would like to replace.

Propane? Rechargeable? Battery? Brand?

Used mainly for backup light in case power would go out but also be used on occasional hunting trips. Have a bass pro gift card that I would like to use it on and we don't have any around here so it's all online shopping.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Re: Lanterns

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:31 pm

LED and batteries. Nothing more annoying than bumping the lantern then having to replace the mantel.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:17 pm

Waterfowlist wrote:LED and batteries. Nothing more annoying than bumping the lantern then having to replace the mantel.

X2. I have them both, but the LED lantern isn't quite as finicky as a propane one. However, the propane lantern (Coleman) really throws out the light. I would strongly recommend a hard plastic carrying case for it.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:12 pm

cstemig wrote:
Waterfowlist wrote:LED and batteries. Nothing more annoying than bumping the lantern then having to replace the mantel.

X2. I have them both, but the LED lantern isn't quite as finicky as a propane one. However, the propane lantern (Coleman) really throws out the light. I would strongly recommend a hard plastic carrying case for it.

Any recommendations of brands for the battery powered led lanterns, I wanna get one, I'm sick of trying to replace mantels in the clam while its getting dark and I got a buzz on.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:49 am

I absolutely love my old school Coleman lanterns. Fond memories from my earliest days at duck camp.

The light that comes out of LED lanterns is like sandpaper on my eyes.

I rarely fish late into the night so I just use a headlamp when ice fishing. Way more convenient than any kind of lantern. Also, those little clam LED lights with the hook & magnet are pretty handy in the fishouse.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:54 am

I agree the old lanterns throw some light. I even have a fold up plastic case but the mantels still get shredded.

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 am

I picked up a Coleman led lantern 2 weeks ago. As has been said already in this thread it doesn't throw as much light as my propane model, but the light is adequate for my sled. I gotta say I really am liking it, the light it gives off is good enough for what i need it to do. An added bonus is that i can turn it off, put it in its case and be done with it, my gas model gets hot and takes a while to cool down. Ive spent many nights packing up my sled into the truck by lantern light and then sitting on the tailgait waiting for it to cool down enough to put it in its case ( im pretty sure i could put a rocket hot lantern in its case without any problems, still doesnt feel safe). My only concern is how long will it last, its advertised as lasting forever, time will tell.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”