cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Which Waterfowl Jacket/Bibs to Buy?

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:26 am

It is time for me to purchase some new waterfowl clothing. With all of the choices out there from Browning, Cabelas, Drake, Mack's PW, Sitka, etc. it is difficult to know who has the better product.

So, any recommendations?
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Re: Which Waterfowl Jacket/Bibs to Buy?

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:46 am

Based on my limited experience, avoid Drake. I've got their 4 in 1 jacket and a pair of bibs that haven't held up well. Zipper started coming apart on the jacket in my first season. Threads are coming loose on the bibs and they are not a very comfortable fit, they come up pretty short on the torso.

I have heard Sitka is all the rage, but can't swallow the price tag.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:13 am

Drake is junk. My current stuff is Cabelas dri fowl. Its nice but is wearing fast. My next set will be goretex again and most likely Sitka.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:44 am

The one nice thing is if you buy it at Cabela's, if not happy with it, you can return it. And you are not limited to the Cabela's brand either. But it's my impression the Cabals brand items they take care of you better warranty wise. It's hard to put a dollar figure on that kind of safety net.

As for the camo pattern, I see there is a new MO "blades" pattern, it looks like it is more suited for cattail slough hunting that many in MN encounter.

God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:29 pm

I have had one of the cabelas dryfowl ones for about 3 or 4 seasons. So far so good. Wish the outer parka had a little better waterproofing. That would be my only complaint.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mulefarm
Coot Commander

Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:03 am

Have had quite a variety over time. The last couple years have been buying pieces of Sitka and by far the best I have had. If you watch for sales there are vendors that usually have 20% off. Also, some times you can find items on closeout for a real good price, but they don't last long and may have limited sizes. Pretty hard too buy the large items all at once, because of the price.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 pm

Striker suit for sure. Awesome camo pattern, very tough, well built, tons of pockets, adjustable length for legs, water resistant, super warm and they float. I have used mine a ton for ice fishing and hunting muddy fields and they've held up great. They are also priced pretty reasonably.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:02 am

? for you Nershi. Are they water resistant or water proof? As there is a difference.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 am

They say they are waterproof. They aren't goretex so to me they are water resistant. You'll be dry in a light to moderate rain. You'll get wet in a downpour just like any other "waterproof" jackets or bibs. Goretex or a old school rubber type stuff is the only stuff that is truly waterproof in my experience.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:27 pm

I have the dryfowl 4-1 wader length parka from cabelas. Great system. Not waterproof though. Fished in a steady light rain memorial weekend and my shoulders were wet within 1.5 hours. That was without the liner coat though. I have two pairs of the dryfowl bibs and I like them a lot. Also have the brush buster goretex pants, I wish I could afford 5 more pairs of them. Best hunting pants I've owned.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”