cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Wolf Replacement Recoil Springs for Benellis

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:03 pm

I just finished installing a new Wolf, magnum recoil spring in my SBE-II. What a difference! For $12.95, the bolt now closes like an old A-5 Magnum....with a resounding CLUNK! I may not be able to shoot the low power target loads, but the magnums will work just fine.

Last fall, I finally replaced the original recoil spring with a factory OEM spring. It did make a difference, but was still a little soft with the bolt closure. Yes, I keep my guns clean so dirt, debris, and rust was not an issue. The recoil springs do soften with use, so for peak performance I would recommend changing the spring when performance becomes an issue.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

mnduckhunter
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Re: Wolf Replacement Recoil Springs for Benellis

Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:39 pm

I put one in my montefeltro. I like it so far. Tempting to buy the light one too.

It would shoot 2 shells and not load the 3rd.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:10 pm

I'd be interested in reliability of the light spring, been thinking about it to get my M2 to cycle some lower recoil loads.

Haven't had a problem with closing the bolt up on magnum loads, but this gun is just barely broken in. That, and I use the 870 when it starts to get too cold

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:44 pm

I put in a Sure Cycle in my SBE 1. It works better than the original and cycles most target shells. It's stainless, so no more rust.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 am

shnelson wrote:I'd be interested in reliability of the light spring, been thinking about it to get my M2 to cycle some lower recoil loads.

I've been running a wolf spring in my H&K Benelli for about 11 years now (I think I put mine in in 2005). It's just getting to the point of replacing not because it softened up, it's mostly getting to be a nuisance to keep it rust free. another 10$ and I'll be back in business for another decade. They're much cheaper than a sure cycle.

BGilbertson.......Even though they're stainless the sure cycles do rust. Mostly (from what I've seen) due to heavy condensation over longer periods of time. If you have an M2 that recoil pad should just pull on and off with no screw driver. It'd be worth your time to take it off when storing it to allow that stock to breath better and reduce any moisture. It's not specific to benellis either, it's all auto's with synthetic stocks from what I've seen. A buddy put a sure cycle in maybe 7 or 8 years ago thinking the same thing and it's since been plenty rusty. It's an easy fix (especially with your gun) or at least easily mitigated, just one to be aware of. They are a good durable system however, despite being 130$

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:12 pm

I'd like to know what you guys do to wear out springs. My SBE...the main gun in my arsenal is 12 or 13 years old, has suffered far more abuse, and has fired way more rounds than likely all others on this thread combined...has the original bolt spring and is still going strong.

I thought about getting a Wolff spring a few years ago just because I thought mine "should" be bad...but glad I didn't. It would have been a waste.
Dominate The Skies.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 pm

In fact, I don't recall any of us(guys I hunt with) that still shoot old Benellis ever needing to replace the bolt springs.
Dominate The Skies.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:I'd like to know what you guys do to wear out springs. My SBE...the main gun in my arsenal is 12 or 13 years old, has suffered far more abuse, and has fired way more rounds than likely all others on this thread combined...has the original bolt spring and is still going strong.

I thought about getting a Wolff spring a few years ago just because I thought mine "should" be bad...but glad I didn't. It would have been a waste.

Corrosion over time will do it regardless of how well they are built. IMO the 1st generation Benelli's are (to-date) the most reliable autoloaders ever made, but still require routine maint. I'm not saying that as a Benelli fan-boy, I've owned many variations of an auto, but the M1/SBE1's are built tough, reliable, and simple..... Infact if I ever wear this one out, I'll look all over for another (my 3rd) H&K in box and likely pay more than a new (current) generation equivalent. However, Just like a car needs an oil change, tires or brakes every so often your gun will need some routine replacements. Think about the abuse that spring takes, now throw in the elements, moisture (snow, rain, ice) and corrosiveness of modern powders and exhaust blowing back into that tube and the fact that there's nothing helping it breath it will inevitably fail. Not because of poor craftsmanship or materials, just because if you use it, it will wear out. Again not just benellis, it'll happen no matter what flavor you chose to run....

No offense but 12-13 years is not a badge of honor... or a testament. To me, that's like saying I have a 5 year old car and being impressed you got 100,000 miles out of it.... At least I consider that gun to have lived a relatively short life... I would expect a gun to last that long. Ive had dozens of buddies mysteriously impressed with their auto's (of all different brands) and how durable they were while they never failed to mention "and I've never ever even cleaned it". Like anything though if you chose to neglect it at some point it will fail. While you're right I don't know how much your gun has been fired, Tom Knapp's 1st m1 stopped shy of 1 million rounds..... I doubt yours was shot as much as his and I know for a fact he ran different springs. Personally it's just my personality to take a pro-active approach. I'd rather do everything in my power to see that things are functioning correctly vs. getting to another state (or country sometimes) only to find out something as stupid as a 10$ spring is making my gun, and it could happen to any auto gun, a single shot. To each their own though..... ultimately its up to you.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:41 am

It's most likely just what i've thought...people just do this...and add Sure Cycles mostly because they hear or read on the internets that these guns "need" them.

And, you make it sound like I retired my SBE1...and that's definitely not true. I really have no desire to shoot another gun in the field. Plus, i'll likely get several more years outof the crappy factory bolt and mag springs.
Dominate The Skies.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:It's most likely just what i've thought...people just do this...and add Sure Cycles mostly because they hear or read on the internets that these guns "need" them.

And, you make it sound like I retired my SBE1...and that's definitely not true. I really have no desire to shoot another gun in the field. Plus, i'll likely get several more years outof the crappy factory bolt and mag springs.

I don't know that anyone ever advocated they needed them, or that factory springs were "crappy".... but seriously what's your problem? Do you get annoyed when people run K&N air filters over stock OEM filters in their trucks? Do you share this same kind of passion toward after market chokes that manipulate your patterns to make your gun more effective at different ranges?

I mean clearly, your an expert on this particular topic which is borderline incredible having never owned one OR (by your testament) hunted with someone who has.... I am impressed.

Further more:

Bullet21XD wrote:My SBE...the main gun in my arsenal is 12 or 13 years old, has suffered far more abuse, and has fired way more rounds than likely all others on this thread combined...

Mr. Foiles? Is that you??? I mean this must have added an extra 2" to your male parts. I mean I don't even know if a low life like myself deserves to be taking advice from such a self-proclaimed duck-everything, all guns under the sun, shot more rounds then the internet combined, expert such as yourself.... my hats off to you sir....

Or are you just a negative person? I mean you've never owned one, don't know anyone that has but still feel the need to tear others down that put them in despite literally everyone seeing better overall performance. You and I have two different definitions of "need"..... see I feel I need to replace mine... why? because it's rusty, causing it to stick (despite cleaning it weekly August-January) during cycling, and 10$ puts me back in business. By your definition I'm a moron for even considering changing out my spring until the gun is completely inoperable.

Yep...your way makes way more sense.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”