Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Inflatable Life Jackets

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:18 am

Anyone use them for hunting? Cabelas has one model at half price on a closeout. But I wonder if the model-specific CO cartridges will continue to be available.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Inflatable Life Jackets

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 am

Personally, if it is a model-specific CO2 cartridge that is unique, I would shy away from it.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:59 pm

I use an inflatable regularly from the first boat ride of the year to the last boat ride. However, as a mechanical device, they kinda freak me out. especially when the air temp is extremely cold.

There was a guy on one of these forums, I think the old one Keller started, who went overboard and had a bitch of a time getting back in the boat because the inflatable got in his way. He said he'd never re-arm it with CO2 again and just use it as a manual-inflate. I would be worried about the gasp-reflex sending me to the bottom before I had time to inflate it, but I also worry about it not working so I'm obviously a worrier.

Odds are you would be able to find a rearming kit that would work, but that's somewhat of a gamble. I'm guessing all of the auto-inflate PFDs have the manual option, but you might want to verify that.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm

The problem with manual inflate is simply - what if you get dazed from bumping you head, or worse - knocked out.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am

Before you get one for hunting...research the temperatures that particular model will function in. Many...do not work when cold...like 40 or less.
Dominate The Skies.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 am

Good point Bullet. I hadn't thought of that.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”