randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Bird Hitch

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:20 pm

I've got one and wont clean a duck any other way while doing out of state hunts. The thing is slick and easy to use. We even throw canadas through it. Thats a 2 person job. Snow geese run right through it with ease. Ive had mine for 4 years now sharp as the day i bought it and ive put around 600 birds through it. Definetly worth the $. I found mine 4 years on macks pw for $85. It was a flippin steal.
Attachments
image.jpg
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

SCKnives
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Re: Bird Hitch

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:25 am

I admit I had to look up a video of it in action. That is pretty slick for cleaning birds!

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:30 pm

What's the smallest bird it'll work on, mallard?

wildwings
Coot Commander

Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:09 pm

You can do the bird hitch method with your hands ! This method was shown to me by a famous guide that lives in the rice fields of Northern MN! Simply hold neck back, press thumbs into the throat and peel a apart till it rips to bottom of chest roll forward and peel up. It will leave a breast with 2 wings in left hand and hand, neck and everything else in right hand. With big birds like mallards I cheat a little and snip the back of the wing area to start. You don't have to but doing a lot of ducks makes your arms burn.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:59 am

shnelson wrote:What's the smallest bird it'll work on, mallard?

We run teal through it. No problems. Haven't tried a mourning dove yet. :lol:

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Yeah on snows we do the stand on its neck and feet, insert fingers above and below breast, and rip. Works great.

delta
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 pm

randy, if you run snows through this thing for a few years is it noticeably dull?, if it would get dull, is there any sharpening? or just buy a new one

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:44 pm

So, using the bird hitch how to you eat your duck? Or does everyone just make jerky? I'm thinking it would take up to much freezer space and I'd just end up breasting it out once it's thawed out. I like the ease of cleaning.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am

triplecurler wrote:So, using the bird hitch how to you eat your duck? Or does everyone just make jerky? I'm thinking it would take up to much freezer space and I'd just end up breasting it out once it's thawed out. I like the ease of cleaning.

Mainly to follow the rules for leaving wings on if hunting away from home. We do that with snows then when we get home we breast them...pain in the butt. Usually we won't freeze them just keep them cold or partially froze.

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 pm

delta wrote:randy, if you run snows through this thing for a few years is it noticeably dull?, if it would get dull, is there any sharpening? or just buy a new one

I've ran close to 600+ birds through it in 4 years, well maybe even more as I've borred it out to friends. Its still as sharp as the day I bought it. Trust me if you do get one you will love it. I was a skeptic too, but after watching there videos and then pulling my first bird through it. SLICK!!!

we freeze our ducks right away with the wing attached for transport. Then i thaw them out when I am ready to eat them and breast out the meat.

I make a general tso duck, a cherry duck and i do a cream of mushroom and wild rice duck. Love all 3 although general tso is probably my fav.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”