triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Texas rigged decoys

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Thinking about converting over 2-3 dozen duck decoys over to Texas rigged. Anyone else Texas rigged. Any disadvantages?
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Texas rigged decoys

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Texas rigs are nice for setup and picking up. I would leave some decoys with standard lines on em for deeper or moving water.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 pm

I agree with gimp -

Just switched a couple dozen over from keel grabbers to texas rigged this year, and my only complaint is the fixed length.

Well, that and when I try to throw a group of 4-5 like I see them do on AvianX tv, it never works & I always end up cutting myself from a crimp running across my hand :).

gimp - how do you transport yours? I tried just letting the decoys hang free, but they always end up making a mess when thrown in the boat. Putting them in the 12 slot bags I have alleviates that but takes up so much space. I completely gave up trying to put them in a mesh bag, there's nothing quick about that.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Texas rigs are awesome, until you hunt water 4ft deep or more. You will want to leave some with longer lines

Sent from a phancy fone

DakotaDog72
Coot Commander

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:00 pm

You won't regret it. I rigged my avian-x decoys with them and absolutely love them. Set up and pick up in seconds.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:05 pm

shnelson wrote:

gimp - how do you transport yours? I tried just letting the decoys hang free, but they always end up making a mess when thrown in the boat. Putting them in the 12 slot bags I have alleviates that but takes up so much space. I completely gave up trying to put them in a mesh bag, there's nothing quick about that.

12 slot bag is what I use unless it's freezing and blowing then they end up in the bottom of the boat and I worry about it later when I can feel my hands.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Mine go in a Cabelas floating bag, and when it comes time to put them out I just dump them into the boat, grab a decoy and shake to free it and toss

Sent from a phancy fone

triplecurler
Mergie Marauder

Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:15 pm

How long are your lines? I run really long lines for the water depth that I hunt because I think the swim better.
Ask Al how to successfully nest wood ducks, see you next season.

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't use a bag. I put the decoys in the caribeener then I tie an overhand knot in the lines as close to the decoys as possible. It makes it easier for throwing them over your shoulder when walking in. The ones I use are Cherokee Sport brand. Got em for $11 a dozen at Wally World. First season and they worked good. They are 36" long and the weights are 4oz.

hillbilly
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:41 pm

we do a similar thing to a texas rig but we have 9' on ours and we have bags that we drop them into that are like laundry baskets and then we put them on carabeners. and we run 3-4 doz mallards and 2 doz divers and couple geese. works slicker then dog shet. and we use a hook to pick up.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”