Gordon
Mergie Marauder

If you were to buy a new semi-automatic shotgun...

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:52 am

What would get, and why?
Craigslist Prostaff

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: If you were to buy a new semi-automatic shotgun...

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:11 pm

One that actually fits the person.

A $200 gun that fits you well, you can shoot well, where as a $2000 gun that does not fit you well you will shoot poorly.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:58 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:One that actually fits the person.

A $200 gun that fits you well, you can shoot well, where as a $2000 gun that does not fit you well you will shoot poorly.

I've shot the same Benelli Nova since 2004. This summer I've had the opportunity to shoot sporting clays a handful of times with a group of guys and I have been able to try a few guns out. I've shot a SBE II, Maxus, and a new A5. They all shoot like a dream compared to the Nova. But what I'm looking for is as much reliability in the field as possible. The guns I used were in new condition, and we were shooting in 70-80 degree temperatures with no rain. See what I'm sayin'?
Craigslist Prostaff

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 pm

Semi autos are as reliable as you need them to be, if you know how to properly clean them. Otherwise any of them can fail for a variety of reasons. Seen plenty of $1500 guns jam because the owner didn't clean the packing oil out of the gun before heading off on a hunt or round of clays.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger. I've had a few gas guns. When the temp drops, they all slowed or stopped. Don't get rid of that pump either, it'll come in handy someday.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:29 pm

M2
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Simply and feels like a heater should. They just work.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:38 pm

SBE II, most swear by them, some swear at them. I know guy that spent over 8 hrs working on his new SBEII in a weeks time while we were in CAN. Nothing but a royal headache for him. Yet most others it works great for them.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 pm

First, find one that fits you or that allows for adjustment for your shooting preference. Next, determine if you really need a semi-auto capable of 3 1/2 " shells. A semi-auto capable of shooting 3" shells should be sufficient for most waterfowl applications.

If you are in no hurry to purchase, try a few out before you buy. Reed's Sporting goods in Little Falls usually has a fall gun show where you can try them out before you buy. Alhman's Shooter's Round-Up in Morristown is another opportunity.

Also do some research in Shotgun World.com or other gun websites on the guns that you like.

IMO, the Beretta 300 series is a great buy at $650.00.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 am

I just got rid of my SBEII. Great gun but I wish I would have spent the extra $100 on the camo finish. I had the matte black and the gun was a rust magnet. I was constantly battling trying to keep rust off of it and I tried a ton of different things. I kind of wanted to get it dipped but what I sold it for I could use the money I saved for not getting it dipped and buy a new gun. The one thing I was not the biggest fan of is having that much money invested in something that takes the beating of going duck hunting sometimes. I am looking at buying a new shotgun here soon too. I am really looking hard at the Franchi Affinity or maybe a Stoeger. Also in consideration is a Beretta 3901. Those are the three that I have narrowed it down to for now.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”