greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: If you were to buy a new semi-automatic shotgun...

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:25 am

I've got a Nova and have no plans of changing.

Out of curiosity, why do people think they need a semi auto?

Oh, and don't get an sx3. Two of my buddies have them and they get one shot into one flock of snows before all hell breaks loose on the pieces of crap. They clean them regularly and have had them sent to Winchester and nothing helped them.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:57 am

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:I've got a Nova and have no plans of changing.

Oh, and don't get an sx3. Two of my buddies have them and they get one shot into one flock of snows before all hell breaks loose on the pieces of crap. They clean them regularly and have had them sent to Winchester and nothing helped them.

I hated my nova personally, had troubles with it jamming all the time on the magazine loading port. The blocker would jam up got to the point I just carried a pen with me to pry it down. Never figured out a way to fix it.

Also the handle shook something fierce, and was incredibly hard to keep quiet.

Maybe I just had a bad gun, I have never heard anyone else having these problems. Love the gun I have now, I won't be getting rid of it.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am

dwendt wrote:

I hated my nova personally, had troubles with it jamming all the time on the magazine loading port. The blocker would jam up got to the point I just carried a pen with me to pry it down. Never figured out a way to fix it.

Also the handle shook something fierce, and was incredibly hard to keep quiet.

Maybe I just had a bad gun, I have never heard anyone else having these problems. Love the gun I have now, I won't be getting rid of it.

Must of had a bad gun. I've been shooting mine for 6 years and have not had a single problem. A lot of my friends have Nova's too with zero problems. Right at the top of my list with the good ole 870.

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:10 am

I wouldn't say that I NEED to have a semi auto but for the most part, I can say that I like having one. I have nothing against pumps.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Why do you need a semi? You are able to get on the bird with your second and third shot much quicker. There is a lot of movement that goes in to a pump, whether you realize it or not, and that movement makes it take longer to realign for your follow up shots. I hunted with pumps exclusively up until a couple years ago. No one "needs" one but it does help with short shooting windows you often get with ducks, grouse etc.

Like others have said find a gun that fits. The benelli's and beretta's both fit me well and are both great guns. I went with the Benelli SBEII because I was not comfortable with the weight of the muzzle on gas guns ie beretta's.

Had I gone back I would have got an M2. Same gun as the SBE but it only shoots up to 3's. I'm just not big on shooting 3.5's, even when hunting geese. Mainly because I value my hunting partners and my hearing and I don't take long shots so 3's work fine. The muzzle blast is significantly louder with 3.5's. The only time I shoot 3.5's now is my 1 shot a year at a turkey and I know 3's work fine for that as well.

As others have said hold on to the pump. I don't care what anyone tells you every semi can and will fail in extreme elements. Especially if you are hunting in super cold conditions. I bring the pump as the back up on our November hunts when the temps are nasty and it has saved me a couple of times.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Nershi wrote:Why do you need a semi? You are able to get on the bird with your second and third shot much quicker. There is a lot of movement that goes in to a pump, whether you realize it or not, and that movement makes it take longer to realign for your follow up shots.

Actually the pump action helps you realign and also help single out birds for the next shot better than a semi when shooting magnum loads. Look it up.

Most guys that think they can shoot faster with a semi are wasting shells.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm

It is not about shooting faster. It is about getting back on target faster. With a semi all I have to do is pull the barrel back down a touch. When you pump a gun there is other movement that slows down retracking to another target.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Nershi wrote:It is not about shooting faster. It is about getting back on target faster. With a semi all I have to do is pull the barrel back down a touch. When you pump a gun there is other movement that slows down retracking to another target.

Unless you have to drop the gun from your shoulder to pump it the is no speed advantage with a semi. More than one test has proven that. Not picking a fight, just repeating what I have read and personally seen.

There is a slight advantage with a semi when shooting low base shells.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 am

gimpfinger wrote:Unless you have to drop the gun from your shoulder to pump it the is no speed advantage with a semi. More than one test has proven that. Not picking a fight, just repeating what I have read and personally seen.

There is a slight advantage with a semi when shooting low base shells.

your mom...

That's what I was thinking too. I know I can rattle off three shells as quick or quicker than friends with semis and usually more accurate.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:24 am

I haven't done any reading on it. It's just based off my own experience and from talking about it with guys who shoot trap a few nights a week and spend enough time in the field each year to make any guy jealous. I've also heard Tom Knapp talk about the subject. Again I'm not talking about how quick one can rattle off three shots. I am talking about how quick you can get back on your target on your second, third, forth shot etc.. When you have to move your forearm to pump the gun it is going to cause some movement, for most people anyhow. Gimp, could you post the article if you can still find it? Not calling you a liar, I'd just like to see how they did the study and how they came to their conclusions.

A semi also has an advantage when taking awkward shots. For example turning around in your layout blind to crack at some mallards that snuck in and are helicoptering in to the back of the field spread. Or when taking a shot to your far right if you are a righty and aren't able to shift your feet. It can be tough to pump in those types of positions.

You can certainly get it done with a pump but I feel semi's do have advantages at times. When my friends start getting in to the sport and ask me which gun to buy I tell them to get an 870 or a Nova, whichever fits better. No sense buying a $1500+ shotgun before you even know if you even going to like the sport. Buying a semi less than that price is asking for trouble. I've seen a lot of issues with the cheaper ones.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”