lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Shock cord on decoy anchors?

Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Anyone using shock cord in place of the rubber crap-straps on decoy anchors? A search of the Google tells me most people are using it for jerk rigs.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Shock cord on decoy anchors?

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 pm

A few years back I had a bad experience with rubber straps and J hook anchors in weeds. The 3rd time in 10 minutes the lead anchor came flying out of the water a cracked my knuckles was enough for me to not ever to want to use the rubber straps ever again. Would the shock cords be any different in that it'd come flying out of the water? Also marine shock cords is over a $1 a foot.

Frankly if shallow water (under 3'), why not use TX anchor rigs and avoid any thing stretchy all together? That's my view point.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Shock cord and hog rings are on my to do list this week.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 pm

No personal experience, but what I read said shock cord doesn't do well with freezing temps

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:43 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:A few years back I had a bad experience with rubber straps and J hook anchors in weeds. The 3rd time in 10 minutes the lead anchor came flying out of the water a cracked my knuckles was enough for me to not ever to want to use the rubber straps ever again. Would the shock cords be any different in that it'd come flying out of the water? Also marine shock cords is over a $1 a foot.

Frankly if shallow water (under 3'), why not use TX anchor rigs and avoid any thing stretchy all together? That's my view point.

Texas rigging my small puddle set, plan on long lining most of my divers... however, looking to have a few puddlers and divers on individual lines and would prefer longer than I care to use for TX rig.

In particular is a set of custom painted Herter's 63 canvasbacks my mom did for my dad. My dad liked to go hunting with me, but he wasn't much of a duck hunter in the having and deploying gear. These have never hit the water. For Herter's I like the scoop anchor on a stretchee to go on their bill. For this 6 pack I'm considering a slotted bag. They're going to be hunted over, but this set gets a little extra love.

I'll find out later this week when I get through all my decoys, but pretty certain I have some batch of stretched out and broken scoops. Was looking at doing the shock cord so it wasn't so stretchee.

My $0.02 :-)

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 pm

I have only used them on my Herter's dekes with the big scoop anchors. I also had a bad experience with the "J" anchors and shock cords....one came flying out of the water after being stuck and nearly hit me in the face.

Shock cords do have their use on jerk rigs though.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:13 pm

I had some rigged up with shock cords. I think they were a good deal as far as making the decoys not jerk around side to side in the big waves on windy days as much. Trouble was I hunted in very rocky places, the weights would get caught in the rocks and it didn't matter what angle you tried to pull from the weights wouldn't pop loose and the shock cords would break. Now that I'm hunting in a fairly rock free area I'm thinking of using shock cords again, but there are some weeds. Im glad I read about the possible anchor to the face others have experienced. I'm now thinking about just leaving my rigs as they are now, maybe experiment with heavy mono (super clear water).

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Or you could just realize that you are pulling on a bungee cord and not pull towards your face. I don't have a problem with my stretchy cords

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Goldfish wrote:Or you could just realize that you are pulling on a bungee cord and not pull towards your face. I don't have a problem with my stretchy cords

Pretty much this

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:04 pm

gimpfinger wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Or you could just realize that you are pulling on a bungee cord and not pull towards your face. I don't have a problem with my stretchy cords

Pretty much this

your mom...

And not step on your weights if you walk through your decoys.

I've never had a problem with them, aside from getting stuck from someone else stepping on them.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”