emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Gun Safe Reccomendations

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:12 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:What about gun safe dehumidifiers that you plug in directly into the inside of the safe?

Golden rod
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:36 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:One really should not store a safe in the basement - especially if leaky walls/floor in heavy rains. meaning if this past June you had any water on the floor, it's a bad idea to have a safe down there.

True dat! My grandpa borrowed me a gun, I cleaned it and gave it back to him. Several months later he calls me all pissed saying his gun is rusted and I was the last one to use it. I used the gun on the range on a sunny day and cleaned it afterwards so I was pretty surprised. His safe is in his basement and I am convinced it was the moisture. It was the year of 2012 when our area had the 100 year flood so there was a lot of moisture in the ground. He has a finished basement so it is not very moist compared to most basements. Good news is I never argued with him, told him I'd fix it and had a good gunsmith reblue it. When I brought it back to him he told me to keep it.

The guns that I have seen in total loss insurance claims that were in "fire proof" safes sustained considerable damage in the fire. A lot of them were not salvageable. I couldn't tell you which brands of safes but I have seen a lot of them. Fire resistant would be a more appropriate term.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:44 am

Nershi wrote: Fire resistant would be a more appropriate term.
Spot on!

Bill Gilbertson wrote: Never get a light weight safe. My son learned this the hard way. His entire safe and it belongings were stolen.
Well, was it bolted down to the floor with 6 grade 8 bolts? I just assumed that people would realize that you must bolt it down securely too -- or the above could happen. Similarly, if they have access to the sides--they will target the sides with a saw. So if the safe is in a "closet" it'll add a minute for them to go through the SR and studs. Also if in a closet--there is the "out of sight, out of mind " mentality. If they do not spot it, they are less likely to steal it in a smash and grab.

FIFY 8-)
Bill Gilbertson wrote: My basement humidity is easily controlled with intermittent use of a dehumidifier.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:20 am

I just noticed that Menard's has a bunch of safes under $500 on sale through Sunday Dec 7. It may fit the bill for an affordable "safe" for some one here.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Al, what safe do you have?
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Sentry. Just a plain old safe, nothing fancy, 1/2 hr fire rated. Better than a security cabinet or nothing at all.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”