lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Gun Safe Reccomendations

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Searched the posts and didn't see this:

Looking for a gun safe. Likely a 30+ unit, but wouldn't be opposed to picking up two 24 gun units.

Purpose: general security (not overly worried about fire, nothing collectible). Kids are getting older and as I trust my kids, peer pressure and asshole friends are coming down the line.

Primary concerns: humidity

My thinking is that a safe over a lockable gun cabinet is better for general security, and likely seals better than a cabinet for humidity control.

Interested in your experiences and opinions, thanks.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Gun Safe Reccomendations

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Browning
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:41 am

I bought mine from these guys 20+ years ago.

http://safeandknifemn.net/index.html

Some of the best money ever spent was the $150 to have 2 guys carry all 620 pounds of it down my basement. Anyone with kids should have a gun safe. It provides considerable peace of mind. You will find lots of other stuff worth keeping in your safe. I keep my wedding ring in mine 8-) The wife knows that no one else would have me. You do want a fireproof safe.

A Golden Rod solves the humidity problem.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:25 am

Any negatives to having a gun safe outside in a garage that isn't heated?

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:31 am

Wow the video on the link shows a couple guys opening a name brand premium $1000 safe in 1:44 with a couple crowbars

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:27 am

One really should not store a safe in the basement - especially if leaky walls/floor in heavy rains. meaning if this past June you had any water on the floor, it's a bad idea to have a safe down there.

As for the garage--yes it can be a problem as temperature changes can cause condensation. EG condensation on the gun barrel. Especially if you occasionally fire up a heater to work on your vehicle. Think of condensation on windows with temperature differences (10 outside and 60 inside), same thing on metal.

Most gun safes are just security from smash and grabs. Side entry is where the pros go for, meaning they use a metal cutting saw and saw right through the side VS the myth of going through the door. As for a "security" cabinet, well that is just so the kids can not get their hands on the guns with out you knowing about it. These an amatuer can get into in 10 seconds.

Recently I noticed many gan safes going to a 1/2 hr rating VS the 1 hr which was the standard. Realize that 1/2 hr or 1 or 2 hrs rating is how long the temp inside getting to 450 degrees--the finish on the guns is shot way before that point. 452 degrees if I recall correctly is when paper (legal documents, etc) catches fire.

Now the serious gun enthusist buys a gun vault. This is the real deal. 8-) But they cost a LOT of $ too. But if you have $250k in guns, what's another $6-12K for a vault?

Also for consideration is insurance premiums. Certain rated vaults you will get a good discount on your gun insurance from the Ins CO. I've heard a few Ins COs also give a lessor discount for having a "safe", as less risk of theft during a burglary.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 am

Maybe my expectations were not realistic, but that's pathetic. I would consider 1:44 basically a smash and grab. Any hometown deadbeat could break into one of these "premium" safes. I could understand a career criminal breaking into my cheap 1k gun safe.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Fires do happen. We had major damage to our home and belongings in 2003. It started in the garage, likely from a halogen light. Over $400K in damage between belongs and the house itself. Fortunately, we had great insurance (American Family). Anything aluminum in the garage melted. Stuff in the rest of the house was damaged and destroyed, but not totally burned up. The safe was untouched in the basement. Our bedroom sustained major damage. But I think if the safe had been there, it would have protected the contents.

Water does happen. Two weeks ago, my father-in-laws plastic water line to the icemaker burst. He seldom goes in the fully finished basement, so there was a lot of water damage before it was noticed.

Never get a light weight safe. My son learned this the hard way. His entire safe and it belongings were stolen. My 620 pound safe is also bolted to the floor.

My garage gets way too much condensation in the spring and early summer to keep a safe out there. My basement humidity is easily controlled with intermittent use of a humidifier.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:16 pm

What about gun safe dehumidifiers that you plug in directly into the inside of the safe?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:11 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:What about gun safe dehumidifiers that you plug in directly into the inside of the safe?

Golden rod
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”