cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Cow Decoys for Snow Goose Hunting

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePluWB7c

Never tried it, but am considering it. Cabela's has a commercial decoy for around $60.00. I'm sure that one could be make cheaper than that.

Last spring while in SoDak, I talked to a local farmer that had his neighbor use one on a jump/sneak. The neighbor bagged over 30 birds after empting his extended mag gun on them.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

StuStiltman
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cow Decoys for Snow Goose Hunting

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:43 pm

My phone won't play the video, if its a clip from the DVD I'm gonna mention disregard my post. There's a video out there called "raining snows and blues". I saw it in the bargain bin at L&M for about 3 bucks so why not. Anyways it was done by (I'm pretty sure) the guy from the "predator pursuit" TV show. Its basically some Nebraska guys pedalling heavy shot, but, all the sequences in the DVD are of these yokels using cow silos to get "close" to big flocks of snows. They killed a huge pile of geese, crippled god knows how many and honestly, it looked like a good time, more of a "can't believe this is working" good time than a great hunt good time. But, the DVD showed that it does (or did) work using the cow silo. Also, no one will ever be interested in hearing about how a ton of scouting and proper decoy placement led to a killer hunt, but, a story about sneaking up on snows with a cow decoy......that will grab peoples attention. Could be worth a 60$ investment for a chance at a true story that you can tell for the rest of your life. Just my opinion.

mr wizard
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Re: Cow Decoys for Snow Goose Hunting

Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Cow boarding sucks.....Carrying a kite through a windy SD field with 10 pounds of mud on each boot as the geese walk away from you until you get so frustrated that you drop the cow and start shooting at 75 yards.....Now you have to go retrieve your cow cuz it just blew into the next county and the cripples are running the other way. So now you have to go get, and carry, 3 geese back to the truck, with the cow/kite, after screwing around for 2 hours or more.
There are times and places where cow boarding works good - SD ain't the place unless you can find a nice levy to start behind. I won't even get out of the truck unless there's a solid chance to kill 100 with 3 guys.. + you dam* sure better have the right kind of shells, $$$$, to kill a goose at 75 yards.
Better to get upwind of a feeding flock - lay down and read a book for a couple of hours and they will walk right up to you.. Lots less work/frustration.

I'd just get better at scouting and decoying them.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”