kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Best Waterproof waterfowl gloves

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 am

You won't find gloves that are warm. And that are actually waterproof that you can still feel comfortable shooting in.

Sent while partying
Alaska swamp man pro staffer
official sour toe member number 52,814

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Best Waterproof waterfowl gloves

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:09 am

And I agree with the homies that say gout deals with urick acid

Sent while partying
Alaska swamp man pro staffer
official sour toe member number 52,814

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:22 am

Alls I know is that I have some swollen finger joints and when cold out they ache more and other joints are not swollen and they ache too. If I remember correctly i have regular arthritis and gout. I certainly am not expert on this, my point was take care of your hands - otherwise pay the price later, like I am now.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:29 am

I love how a post about gloves turns into a debate on what causes gout. Thanks for the input on both topics. I can say I learned something.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 am

cstemig wrote:I'd recommend Cabela's Dri-Fowl insulated, gauntlet gloves. They are not a decoy glove, but they will keep your hands warm and dry. I believe that they are about $45.00

I second this. Mine have done me well. The outside does collect water and can freeze, but your fingers stray dry and decently warm.

Sent from a phancy fone

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am

I agree with Kwack~ warm, protection, utility.... hasn't existed in my life.

Interested in the Sitka glove. Any additional info?

Fowler~ it is more likely to do with you Lyme's than Gout, and the arthritis is multiples the cause joint stiffness in cold weather. Get a new Dr., one that keeps your hand warm AND dry.... :lol:

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 am

FIFM (Fixed it for me)
lanyard wrote:
Fowler~ it is more likely to do with you Lyme's than Gout, and the arthritis is multiples the cause joint stiffness in cold weather. Get a new Dr., one that keeps HIS hand warm AND dry.... :lol:

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:33 pm

A singular pair of gloves for waterfowl hunting is a hard shoe to fill. Between getting decoys, shooting and getting to and from a water based destination, 3 pairs of gloves are almost a given. If it's a pair for just shooting thin gortex is great. For getting decoys, rubber, rubber and more rubber. For going in and out running a motor wool lined choppers or a thick pair of gortex is great. It all gets wet when I hunt. I carry a pair in my chest pockets of my coat, a pair in my marsupial hooded sweat shirt pouch, and at least 2 pair in separate ziploc bags in my blind bag. Then the pair on my hands going out. If I'm lucky I have one dry set at the end of the day.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:17 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Some of you younger guys should heed the technology now available to keep your hands dry and warm. When I was a lad there was not really anyhting too good except rubber gloves and a wool insert. Between trapping, hunting, and outdoor work over the years (often bare handed) I developed a bad case of gout (a form of arthritis) in my fingers which I hope none of you ever get (painful as hell at times). So do yourself a big favor, buy warm water proof gloves.

with all my layout hunting running long lines and so on my best gloves have been the $12 blue wells lamont rubber gloves at fleet farm.... and while hunting put your hands in a pocket or inside your waders.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Take-a-Gander
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:51 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I think I will go by what my DR told me--which I posted above and that my swollen finger joints ache more when out in the cold,

Cold can definitely exacerbate gout, however it is not the cause of gout. JRP is correct, gout is caused by either an overproduction or under excretion of uric acid. Certain foods have high levels of purines/uric acid. Eating too much of these can raise uric acid levels and the crystals can not stay suspended in the blood stream and deposit in the distal joints (most commonly big toe joint but also ankle or hand joints). They are very destructive to the cartilage and can cause erosive arthritis over time. Cold can make the crystals precipitate into the joint do to the temperature change, not unlike when you make rock candy. Hypersaturated solution of sugar in hot water, introduce a string or stick which caused the sugar crystals to form as the solution cools.

Carry on and sorry to double hijack the thread.
TaG

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”