h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Snow hunting blind

Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Chuck posted up a link on it viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1552

Not wanting to hijack Chuck's want ad, so I started this topic. That blind is exactly what I've been thinking of and looking for years now. I just wish it was wider for us bigger guys. I'd just wear a white Tyvek top and add a couple of white Tyvek bags on to my legs with clothes pins. With this set out you'd get at least 1 extra shot off when they are close in. Some guys may not understand that when using a regular lay down blind with doors, once the doors open the birds often flare. But with out that extra movement, you'll get an extra close in shot off. Also being so it's so portable, if walking in, it's a LOT easier than dragging in a bigger blind 200-800 yds.

One other thing I'd use is a 4x4 water proof mat or similar. It acts like insulation from the cold ground and keeps you out of the water AND you have a place to put your shells, gear, etc from getting muddy/wet.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Snow hunting blind

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am

I'm planning on using the cheap Tyvek coveralls (painter's coveralls) in XXL size in chair blind. As an added touch, I plan on stenciling the coveralls with the typical black folded wings, similar to what is on the basic Sillosock decoy. IMO, the stenciling may help blending into the spread rather than the birds viewing one big white blob sitting there.

Variety is the spice of life, so trying something different may be worthwhile.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:20 am

We built our own last year with wood and then added cusions to it. Worked just fine for early season goose. I would be a little skeptical using them in the spring only because of the temperatures. I would much rather stay out of the elements and maybe not get that one extra shot off than to freeze my @$$ off the whole time with no way to get out of the wind. Anyone that hunted early snows last year knows how miserable it was being in layouts, I cant imagine having no wind break.

Warm days, be perfect.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 am

I have to agree with your assessment Travis. But if super muddy, hauling in a big blind is not always an option. Anyway, from my view, at minimum it is a good extra tool for when the need arises.

Chuck, the coveralls need to be bigger than your think to go over bulky bib, etc. Try them on with full cold weather gear--including pack boots. Often 4xl is needed. And too much white it not good either, thus why just the top in white and clip a couple of bodies at the knees to break up ones outline. I saw a guy spray paint the outer chest (near the arms) with brown and tan, so basically the arms are white the front torso is white so not too much white. He did the same with the back side too. I liked his idea.

And related to this, some guys have decoys with longer stakes around their blinds, especially useful on a hill top to help break up your silhouette from low in coming birds. I have some stakes 30 and 36" long compared to the std 24" to better achieve this. Word to the wise--in a wind you need thicker shafts on the longer stakes. What works with a 20-24" stake does not work well when longer.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:19 pm

We're up to 6 of these blinds now...been using them a ton for the last two years both spring and fall.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:14 pm

What do you think of the width? Would it be better if 6" wider for bigger guys?

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”