cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Cold Weather Lube

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

So, I picked up my gun (SBE-II) today, that has been sitting in the un-heated garage for over 2-weeks now, and attempted to use it. When I pulled the bolt back to rack in a round, it was very, very stiff. Prior to leaving it in the garage, I had cleaned it and did not put any lubricant on it.

I then brought it into the house and field stripped it. No ice, no gummy mess, no dirt. The recoil spring in the stock was totally operational; not sticking at all. The problem seemed to be in the bolt/receiver area. I then wiped everything down again with a dry rag and put a few drops of Mil-Tec synthetic oil on the rails. I put it back in the garage to cool down and tried it again. So far, it seems to be working. I'll try it again in a few hours to see if it holds up.

Anyone else have similar issues with extremely cold firearm function?
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cold Weather Lube

Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Never had an issue with my 870 when it's cold like that. :mrgreen:
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Well, after sitting all night, un-cased in an un-heated garage, the gun worked flawlessly. Fired at a couple of thieving bandits that had malice of forethought and maliciousness in their eyes. The synthetic gun lube seem to be working just fine.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:46 pm

cstemig wrote:Well, after sitting all night, un-cased in an un-heated garage, the gun worked flawlessly. Fired at a couple of thieving bandits that had malice of forethought and maliciousness in their eyes. The synthetic gun lube seem to be working just fine.

What kind of lube?
I made my own from 2/3 AFT fluid and 1/3 5w-30.
Works in my truck all year around. I've ran this in my guns for 2 years now and never had a problem in any weather.
Plus for around $25 you have 3 quarts of the stuff.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:20 am

My Versa Max is a little sticky when it gets this cold but still cycles...just figured it was from not cleaning it in the 3 years I had it

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 am

Mil-Tec Synthetic lube

mnduckhunter
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:03 pm

I use fp-10

Anything without teflon