emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Designer Shot Shells....

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:05 pm

gimpfinger wrote:Them fiocchi Dakota country have been my shell the last two seasons. Decent load, decent speed and has round polished shot that in my book counts more to killing birds than the loads and speeds most cool shells hype. You get all that for 11.99 a box making it cheaper than the welding spatter everyone calls experts.

Anyone else give them a try yet?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Yep, patterned like crap in my shotguns.

Still shooting Remington sportsman steel and Estate's.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Designer Shot Shells....

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:41 am

emptymag wrote:[quote="gimpfinger"]Them fiocchi Dakota country have been my shell the last two seasons. Decent load, decent speed and has round polished shot that in my book counts more to killing birds than the loads and speeds most cool shells hype. You get all that for 11.99 a box making it cheaper than the welding spatter everyone calls experts.

Anyone else give them a try yet?

Yep, patterned like crap in my shotguns.

Still shooting Remington sportsman steel and Estate's.[/quote]I did notice that the more open a choke the better they did. Barely a cripple last year with them through an improved cylinder.

Last edited by gimpfinger on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Hmm. I'll try'em again sometime.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I get a healthy discount on hevi products, despite that I've shot estate's, remington sportsman and federals (blue and reds) the last 20-30yrs. Because of the cost savings I'll be trying hevi-steel this year at about $80 a case I'm taking one for a test drive. If it shoots like hevimetal it'll be the last case of it I buy. I did not like hevimetal although buddies swear by it.... black cloud can be had at about %50 normal price if you shop around and watch for deals, although Im not a fan and it burned dirty. Same w/ hypersonic... it hit like normal steel but after picking powder out of my eyes every third round I ditched it. I'm probably one of the few here that still remembers shooting lead legally at waterfowl.... nothing will ever replace that.

Ive done all my waterfowling my entire life with 3" or less shells.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:21 am

Mallard_maniac wrote:I get a healthy discount on hevi products, despite that I've shot estate's, remington sportsman and federals (blue and reds) the last 20-30yrs. Because of the cost savings I'll be trying hevi-steel this year at about $80 a case I'm taking one for a test drive. If it shoots like hevimetal it'll be the last case of it I buy. I did not like hevimetal although buddies swear by it.... black cloud can be had at about %50 normal price if you shop around and watch for deals, although Im not a fan and it burned dirty. Same w/ hypersonic... it hit like normal steel but after picking powder out of my eyes every third round I ditched it. I'm probably one of the few here that still remembers shooting lead legally at waterfowl.... nothing will ever replace that.

Ive done all my waterfowling my entire life with 3" or less shells.
I got to shoot lead quite a few years about gave up duck hunting those first years of steel. You could hear the bb's hitting birds and hardly knock a feather off any.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 am

I was also fortunate enough to use lead during my early years. My "go to" shell was Federal 2 3/4" magnums in 4-shot. I had to use magnums because my recoil spring in the old Model 11 Remington was very stiff.

I almost quit duck hunting when the first steel shot came out. My first experience with that stuff was horrible. I remember hitting several ducks with the stuff, hearing the pellets strike the bird, but noting fell. After the first couple of hours, I had enough down feathers around the blind to stuff a small mattress.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 am

A good high brass lead 4 load still kills ducks better than most steel loads.

Que fouler...telling how "new" steel outperforms lead.
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 am

Black Cloud 10% off already Low Fleet Prices at Fleet Farm!

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am

I had similar experiences as Gimp and Chuck... heck my G uncle quit hunting after he peppered 2 different ducks and they went down, and as he approached they got back up to fly away. he unloaded the gun and put it in the case and said "I'm through" and he never hunted again. :o

Ron, no steel does not out perform lead, But true 100% Hevi-shot does.
But the newer steel loads sure are a LOT better than 20 yrs ago and can indeed kill ducks and geese stone dead if in range.
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:A good high brass lead 4 load still kills ducks better than most steel loads.

Que fouler...telling how "new" steel outperforms lead.
There's only one thing I've found the outperforms lead and Remington broke up with hevi shot so so much for that. I'd by two boxes of 2's a season for when the geese started to piss me off.

When coyote hunting ill run hevi dead coyote T's because I'm lazy and don't want to have to walk to find them.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”