cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Designer Shot Shells....

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm

So, who is trending with the stuff? With the options like Winchester Blind Side, Browning BXD, Hevi-Shot Speed Ball, Spectra Shot, Black Cloud, etc. a guy could go crazy with the flight control wads, weird shaped steel pellets, colored steel pellets, hyper-sonic speeds, and a mixture of steel shot & Hevi-Shot. Some of them require you to buy a specific choke for their shells.

I admit to using Black Cloud for a while. It was okay, but not really special. I'm now back to using plain steel shot, with moderate speeds of 1300 -1450 fps.

IMO, the designer stuff is for bored marketing executives and engineers that have too much time on their hands.

This should stir the pot a bit.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Designer Shot Shells....

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:08 pm

it's also marketed to the people that want the next new thing. Lots of COs do that by offering the "next new thing" (be it shells, clothing, guns, calls, etc) knowing a small % of the market will buy it. I could care less about it, Just give me tried and proven products

As for shells, just give me steel at 1450-1500fps and I am happy. I don't need the 1550+ stuff as it does not have pattern density due to less shot and the under 1400fps just does not have the penetration/knock down power for clean kills at further ranges that I want. the 1450-1500fps is from my view the proper balance of shot and ft/lbs of energy. 3 shot is IMHO the best all around size. I've killed many at goose to 40 yds with it and ducks to 45yds.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:01 pm

I miss the days of lead where the biggest thing to figure out is 4 shot or 6 shot.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I like shooting the Venti half-caf with a depth charge.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 am

^^^ So you think we are barista's around here? Sounds what an uppity suburban person would order... :shock:

If the truth be told and if it were legal, 6 shoot lead for early season and 5 shot lead for late season. Man oh man did I kill a lot of Bills and Mallards at 40yds with 5 shot hand loads back in the day. Those were the days....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZngGIw5ONWE
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:58 am

^^^^ you figured out the code Al. You win the internet today! :-)

Gear and gadgets ate nothing new and cover all aspects of life. My phone only gets 5% utilization of all it's extreme awesomeness.

"Designer" shells from Mass producers exist for the only reason is to own market share.

If they work for you, AWESOME. I'll stick to my Kent Fasteel #3. Not sure how many people hate this, but in 15 years have never had the issues others report.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:05 am

People are suckers. Especially the young and dumb ones trying to be cool. News flash, a $30 box of shells won't kill more ducks for you. These gimmicks just make for more sky busters.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

The biggest gimmick is the 3.5" shell. I know some guys swear by them, but I haven't personally known anyone I hunt with that shoots them to be more effective at any range than a 3". There's days I shoot 2 3/4" just because they're cheaper, on special, etc. The ONE box of Black Cloud I bought was 2 3/4" on sale for like $12.99. God awful dirty shell that may have increased stone dead ratio by 10-15%. Not enough to put up with powder in my eyes from the gas auto or to ever pay full price.

If I could afford it, I would likely try tungsten or one of the alternates. But $3.50 a bird isn't where my brain is at. Kent 3" 3 at Fleet Farm are $14.99 reg price and will go on sale sometime in the next 6 weeks. I'll go buy my two boxes, shoot 30 birds, burn a couple unnecessary shots because i'm paddling my kayak and get nervous if they still got a wing or leg kicking, will generally burn 6 shells the last day I hunt on a freaking merganser, and have a damn dandy season with enough left over in my pocket to make a walk for pheasants over Thanksgiving. Since the dog died, just don't hunt like I used to and hunting from a boat in reeds/rushes/cattails most of the time spoils a guy.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Yea I agree on 3.5's. I won't hunt with people who use them. Way too loud. I know guys who swear by them too. I'd rather decoy birds a little closer and save my shoulder and ear drums.

I shoot Kent's that I get from Rogers or Federal red box factory rejects I get from a buddy. I think I actually like the red box a little better but it is a bit of a hassle driving to meet a buddy to get them. I get em for dirt cheap but after gas and time it's probably pretty similar to Kent prices that ship to my front door for free.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 pm

Them fiocchi Dakota country have been my shell the last two seasons. Decent load, decent speed and has round polished shot that in my book counts more to killing birds than the loads and speeds most cool shells hype. You get all that for 11.99 a box making it cheaper than the welding spatter everyone calls experts.

Anyone else give them a try yet?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”