Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: Designer Shot Shells....

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 am

Yep...the high density Hevi Shot is better than lead. That Rem 3inch #4 was deadly...pretty much to any range you'd care to shoot at!

I loved that stuff. The old Federal TI #4's were pretty bad ass as well.

Never cared for any load HeviShot produced. Maybe it's better now, but when they first started making shotshells, I thought they kinda sucked.
Dominate The Skies.

big_fish_guy
Coot Commander

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:34 am

i shoot 3" kent fasteel either #2 or BB for everything. no issues here.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 am

Bullet21XD wrote:Yep...the high density Hevi Shot is better than lead. That Rem 3inch #4 was deadly...pretty much to any range you'd care to shoot at!

I loved that stuff. The old Federal TI #4's were pretty bad ass as well. and Winchester Extended Range

Never cared for any load HeviShot produced. Maybe it's better now, but when they first started making shotshells, I thought they kinda sucked.

I was just reading a article about hevishot. Market prices dictate how much tungsten they buy and they have no set "standard" for what % of tungsten they mix in the pellets each year. Basically its a crap shoot each year what the density will be. That combined with the different sized/oblong pellets in each shell, I'll likely never go down that road again.

I may buy a box or 2 of the new Kent Bismuth if I stumble upon it.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:46 am

gimpfinger wrote:Them fiocchi Dakota country have been my shell the last two seasons. Decent load, decent speed and has round polished shot that in my book counts more to killing birds than the loads and speeds most cool shells hype. You get all that for 11.99 a box making it cheaper than the welding spatter everyone calls experts.

Anyone else give them a try yet?

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I did last year and had so many cripples I quit using them mid hunt. All my shots were within 25 yards. Went back to my 3" BB Kent and had no problems. For a couple bucks a box more, i'll be sticking with Kent.

I was disappointed that they didn't work a little better.

swat'em
Coot Commander

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:09 am

I've been shooting heavy metal for a few years now and love it. I have virtually no cripples and it burns clean.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
gimpfinger wrote:Them fiocchi Dakota country have been my shell the last two seasons. Decent load, decent speed and has round polished shot that in my book counts more to killing birds than the loads and speeds most cool shells hype. You get all that for 11.99 a box making it cheaper than the welding spatter everyone calls experts.

Anyone else give them a try yet?

I did last year and had so many cripples I quit using them mid hunt. All my shots were within 25 yards. Went back to my 3" BB Kent and had no problems. For a couple bucks a box more, i'll be sticking with Kent.

I was disappointed that they didn't work a little better.

I don't know if they were "Dakotas", but I tried some Fiocchis last fall as well and thought they kinda sucked. I bought 2 cases and think i've got 5 or 6 boxes left i'll probably just throw away.

Unless Gimp wants them!
Dominate The Skies.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 pm

What chokes you throwing them through? Improved or light mod was what they shot good with for me. Seemed like anything tighter and they would pattern to tight and blow themselves out and have holes in the patterns. Improved through my cheapie condor killed birds dead 4 times out of five at 40 yards or so. Noticed the wads were made with a thicker, harder plastic than my blue box have so maybe the thicker wad constricted the shot more. Or I'm just talking out my ass and just got lucky they pattern good out of my condor and 870? My boy and hunting buddy did pretty well with their 870's and improved chokes with them as well so who really knows.

The 4 ' s did way better than the larger shot ( 2-bb)I noticed though.

Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 pm

I shot #2's through an old HS choke that shoots everything but Black Cloud very well. It's been my go to choke for many year. Constriction is probably in the IM range.
Dominate The Skies.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:01 am

I've patterned 3" Fiocchis with Browning Invector chokes. They shoot tight, so I use a Improved Cylinder choke and it is = to a Full Chioke2 with lead (75% in 30" circle at 40yds using 3 shot). With a mod choke it is 92%. I actually have a cylinder bore (no choke), and it shoots 62% which is like a light Mod in lead and great for over the decoy shooting.

The Fiocchi are dirty with some no burned powder in the barrel at times. This can drive some guys crazy. Also, on some of the tighter chambered guns I've heard guys pissed off because it will not eject the shell because it is jammed in the chamber. But they work in my SX2 with no problems though.

I have found that 3 shot is the BEST shot size in steel for ducks, as it'll kill them dead to 40 yds with no problem with a FPS of 1450-1500. The 2 shot is bit too course and has open holes when I've patterned ANY brand. And the 4 shot does not have the umpf for the bigger ducks at 35+yds. (4 shot is a great early season load when the smaller ducks like Teal and Woodies are around.) But overall 3 shot has the best of both worlds - pattern density and umpf (ft lbs energy per pellet) at over 35 yds. And you may be surprised at how many geese I shnocker with those 3 shot 3" Fiocchis to 40 yds.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:42 am

"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”