emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Electric decoys

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 pm

As my mojo reaches year 11, I wonder if any of the new battery decoys are worth it?

Mojo flock a flickers?

The foot paddling decoys like a wonderduck?

Water spout decoy like higdon pulator?

Fingers crossed that my mojo goes another year, maybe I'll just buy a new mojo this year if need be.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Re: Electric decoys

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:15 pm

I tried a Wonder Duck last year on a calm morning, and it worked well. It created some movement and water ripples in an otherwise dead environment.

IMO, the Pulsator type decoys would do the same thing on a calm morning. You can find plans to built your own for about $50.00

Flock-a-flickers look too busy for my liking. Too much activity may have a negative effect, but I don't know for sure.

When all else fails, a bucket full of rocks tossed into a calm water one at a time has worked.

I just came out of the Woodbury Cabela's.....man do they have the motion stuff set up. Not only operational on the floor, but also in a 1750 size boat full of water. Now that was a sight to see.
Last edited by cstemig on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

You crazy kids and your new fangled technology......

Always seemed like battery ops for decoys were one more thing I didn't need to worry about. Have to imagine the battery and charging technology improvements in the 11 years will be the biggest thing you notice when you go new.

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:16 am

Personally, I'm waiting for solar powered decoys...forget the batteries.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 am

cstemig wrote:Personally, I'm waiting for solar powered decoys...forget the batteries.

You're likely going to need a more efficient motor on the decoys to take advantage of solar. You won't be able to hide enough surface area for solar to be effective.

You'd still need a battery, but the technology driving the motors will likely burn at a faster rate than the sun can provide.

If the motors can get to a LED efficiency, or incorporate some sort of generator to assist, you might find better function in a hybrid... .think Ford Fusion Hybrid vs Tesla full electric.

You might get enough from a panel in the boat to pump air TO the decoy or rotate a jerk string puller. I think you'd lose too much energy if you ran cords from boat to decoy.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I carry more batteries than shotshells!
Dominate The Skies.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 pm

Them flock a flickers have a dove size now that I will be trying out for sure but the normal sized ones I thought might be good skattered in a bigger dive spread since divers always seem to be randomly stretching their wings while they sit.

Did get my first battery powered duck decoys a mojo bluebill floater with remote. Hard to tell if it made much difference with divers since the few times I used it the divers wanted where I was set up but it did suck some mallards in real good late season.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”