browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Shotgun sight

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Alright guys, I will admit it. I am an average shot at best. I used to shoot in a trap league when I was just out of high school and got a little better but nothing to write home about. I am considering putting one of those Champion Easy Hit sights on my gun. My wife has one on her shotgun and when I was looking at it when I was using it for turkey hunting this spring I kind of liked it. I have been working on shooting with both eyes open the past couple of years but I wouldn't say I have figured that out yet. I am as self taught as it gets, started hunting at 15 and no one in my family knew a thing about any hunting or shotguns etc so I have either just asked or figured it out. When I talk with some of my hunting buddies that are better shots, they all say not to look at the bead when wing shooting or target shooting with a shotgun. Any of you guys that can shoot have any advice? I would say I am leaning on not doing it, but just considering it. I will say, my former boss retired and he has always wanted to take shotgun shooting lessons that is going to be my going away gift to him this Aug or Sept here. I was going to wait until after that, but I couldn't help but look at those sights online for a little bit tonight.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Shotgun sight

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 am

I'm no crack shot but can generally hold my own in sporting clays every week. Never even notice the bead when I'm shooting.
Make sure your gun fits you. I've got 2 benellis and I played with the shim kits for awhile one weekend and feel that my hit % went up after that.
I've also spent countless hours and rounds of ammo patterning my guns. Big difference in ammo and choke combinations.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 pm

I am no expert but I do know one of the more sought after shooting instructors in the country and he has said the last thing you want to do is look at your bead when shooting. He said he has made a lot of money from people who added a glow bead to their gun and later needed correction lessons. My SBEII has one that came stock with the gun but it hardly glows and I've never noticed it when shooting. Like emptymag said, the gun fit is the biggest factor.

I can see the value shooting at a stationary target like a turkey with one.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Practice mounting your unloaded gun at home and line up the beads or stack the beads or however you like it. Then progress to mounting the gun with the intention of everything lined up correctly and pointing directly at a predetermined “target”. I like light switches, corners of ceilings, eyeballs of duck taxidermy, etc. Then progress to picking the target, closing your eyes, mounting the gun, opening your eyes and seeing how close you are. That’s how you get a good mount and target acquisition without looking at the beads in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:40 pm

This reminds me: my favorite bead ever was white.... may nee to recreate that and see if it helps.... Or the glasses I got after last season... Maybe a combo....

browningguy18
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am

I might play around with my shim kit this weekend. And thanks for the advice Quack. I have all of Aug to practice mounting. Hopefully my wife is ok with that.

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:13 pm

I agree with all points here. I shot my best match with a missing front sight on a shotgun that fit me properly.

Pat Kelly has some good YouTube vids on getting LOP all squared away, I'll try to dig it up tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 am

Kevin I'll make 1 suggestion - go to that instructor yourself too this Aug.

On shotguns you point it, you don't aim it on flying targets. And that's why VG rifle guys can be poor bird gunners, and vice versa, The 2 disciplines contradict each other.

Gun fit is #1.
For myself for example: 90+% of the guns do not fit me as there is a gap between the rear and front sight - meaning that I will shoot high - that's a helluva handicap and a miss every time on crossing shots. Most factory shims do not correct it enough for me. For example on Citori's there is a hug gap between the sights, When I shoulder it and look down the vent rib it looks like an airplane landing runway when on approach :o

I've seen guys piss away $$$$'s on guns and they keep on buying as they can't shoot well.... If a $2k gun does not fit you, you will not shoot well. Conversely a beat up $300 gun that does fit you, you can shoot well.

It's like you want to learn to box, but 1 hand is tied behind your back. So how good can you be? As the poor fit of the gun is what is tying the hand. Get a well fitting shotgun - NOW you have the opportunity to learn to shoot better.

Fit. Fit. Fit.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”