h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: Ruger 10/22

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 am

Not really, but more surprised that the lead deposit build up would not have altered the accuracy more.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 am

I'll have to take a look at that gun too.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Not really, but more surprised that the lead deposit build up would not have altered the accuracy more.

There is little to no lead deposits. Most higher end ammo is lubed at the factory to prevent this. It generally takes 20+ shots to get your barrel conditioned to a new ammo after switching from one brand to the other.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:00 pm

emptymag wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:Not really, but more surprised that the lead deposit build up would not have altered the accuracy more.

There is little to no lead deposits. Most higher end ammo is lubed at the factory to prevent this. It generally takes 20+ shots to get your barrel conditioned to a new ammo after switching from one brand to the other.

100% believe you. I firmly believe that the whole "clean every "X" rounds" is a family folklore myth and have consistently proved it with rifles and their accuracy. Currently have a 308 w/ over 600 rounds down the barrel and is shooting as tight as it was @ 20.... no cleaning.

Also a .223 24" Ar platform at over 1K and no cleaning. Solid 1.5" 10rnd groups

The "have to clean" nonsense has wrecked more throats and bores than not cleaning ever will.

and even more impressive than my "cute little shooting" scroll down to see groups and how many rounds w/ no cleaningin formidilosus was getting:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/firearm ... -zero.html

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Ever shoot a lil WD-40 down the barrel as a preventative for rust?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 pm

No. I never use wd-40 on guns. Break free clp.

When my clp is gone I’ll prob switch to frog lube.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 am

The more I think about it, I think i'm going to buy a stock gun, replace what I want as time and money allows and then i'll still have all of the parts (minus receiver) to rebuild a gun for my son in a few years. It'll be more expensive now but probably makes the most sense.

Looks like I could get a receiver and receiver parts for about $100 but i've never dealt with sending anything to an FFL.

How does that work?

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

It's easier than buying a gun at Cabelas now (with taking numbers, and the nics counter, etc...).

Get ahold of your FFL, make sure they know what you're planning (typically will charge $20ish processing fee, a good friend migh be less or not at all ;) ). If you're ordering from a place like whitakers it's as simple as sending them the FFL's information and they'll ship to him/her. you pay whitakers and your dealer will give you a call when it comes. It's basically like buying off amazon only sending it to someone else.

With online discount places now I'm hardpressed to stand in line at a brick and mortar store going through someone that typically doesn't know what they're talking about anywya. The deal has to be pretty good for me to shop at a scheels, cabelas, etc... for a gun anymore.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:It's easier than buying a gun at Cabelas now (with taking numbers, and the nics counter, etc...).

Get ahold of your FFL, make sure they know what you're planning (typically will charge $20ish processing fee, a good friend migh be less or not at all ;) ). If you're ordering from a place like whitakers it's as simple as sending them the FFL's information and they'll ship to him/her. you pay whitakers and your dealer will give you a call when it comes. It's basically like buying off amazon only sending it to someone else.

With online discount places now I'm hardpressed to stand in line at a brick and mortar store going through someone that typically doesn't know what they're talking about anywya. The deal has to be pretty good for me to shop at a scheels, cabelas, etc... for a gun anymore.

Thanks! Tempting to just buy the receiver then...

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 pm

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/r ... 6208.aspx#

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/r ... ?rrec=true

Will those get me a fully functioning receiver? Then just add trigger, barrel and stock?

Return to “Firearms, Ammo & Gear Discussion”